M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How to fix leak near rear SAM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350, clk, amg
How to fix leak near rear SAM

I was having issues with my rear hatch closing as well as my fuel gauge (shows zero until im about halfway then jumps to full).

I tried everything with the hatch and then i noticed there was a puddle of water near my rear SAM. A little searching and i found this was a common issue. I cleaned the corrosion on the SAM and my trunk closes perfectly but i am having issues with my gas gauge still.

Has anyone had a leak here and how did you fix it? It seems like it only happens after a car wash but I am not 100% sure.

Do you think the SAM is at fault for the gas gauge or should I try changing the sender? How much does the sender cost and what all is involved in the change?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM

ML320CDI
Came out one morning to my '07 ML320CDI (240,000 km approx. 150,000 miles) and found wipers, power seats, turn signals, fuel guage, and remote door locks not working. My indy shop dignosed as rear SAM failure due to corrosion. SAM replaced and fuel guage still not working. Shop felt fuel sender issue was result of SAM failure (shorting out). Sending unit was CDN$242 plus 4 hours shop labor. From reading on this forum and others, appears rear SAM corrosion is common due to leak around tail light housing. I siliconed the heck out of mine.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 ML350, 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Leak in wheel wells

I thought my taillight gasket was leaking. I paid $30 for a new gasket and installed it. Did the gallon of water pour test. Water still getting in. Turns out there is an oval shaped vent that is allowing this water to get in. Till this is fixed, I popped out the rubber body plug to allow the water to drain out of the wheel well. I found out that the rear bumper cover needs to be removed to access these vents. There is a description elsewhere on how to remove it (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...tallation.html). I plan on using rtv sealant to reinstall this vent after removing and thoroughly examining it to analyze if it is defective.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:33 AM

ML350 cdi
Originally Posted by phenomic
I was having issues with my rear hatch closing as well as my fuel gauge (shows zero until im about halfway then jumps to full).

I tried everything with the hatch and then i noticed there was a puddle of water near my rear SAM. A little searching and i found this was a common issue. I cleaned the corrosion on the SAM and my trunk closes perfectly but i am having issues with my gas gauge still.

Has anyone had a leak here and how did you fix it? It seems like it only happens after a car wash but I am not 100% sure.

Do you think the SAM is at fault for the gas gauge or should I try changing the sender? How much does the sender cost and what all is involved in the change?
  1. Yes it is the SAM. I had water damage to the rear SAM, and purchased a used one. After that most things worked again but the gas gage didn’t. Took to a mechanic who knew how to retrieve programming from old SAM and install in the new. Then it worked perfectly. So the SAM does control that.