M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 ML550 New Battery No Climate Ctrl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML550
2008 ML550 New Battery No Climate Ctrl

Sorry to dive in with a question but dealer-serviced ML550 needs a quick answer.
Unable to short-schedule a new battery install so installed it myself. The Germans must have hated us as getting the beast out a nightmare.

In any even, buttoned everything up, RESET STUFF IN COMAND SYSTEM, went to turn on the A/C climate control. NO FAN, NO AC, NO HEAT NOTHING. Is there some secret squirrel shake that resets the climate control. Read, re-read manual nothing.

Anyone? HELP
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
If you ever do it again, look at this thread, which links to a video that has lots of neat tricks. With a pry bar, it comes out easily. In fact, that's the easiest part! https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/570416-oem-battery-07-ml350-4matic.html

I'm guessing you dislodged something or blew a fuse, because it all should come right back except ior the clock f you didn't change the little aux batt or used a memory saver. What did you "reset"?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM

ML350 Blutec
I have watched the video which is very good. But what is a memory saver and where can I get one? My 2010 ML350 Blutec is may need a battery soon and having the deal do it is very pricey.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 AM

2008 ML550
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished LOL

After scratching my head how to remove battery crafted a 'tool' that could get under the rear lip of battery, heft it per the manual at 45 degrees, ta ta, out it came. Likely the response was similar.

But alas, no good deed goes unpunished, to the tune of taking out battery, yes indeed dislodged a wire during the removal or insertion, and all is well.

Thanks, have a great day.

BTW, the dealer said they 'loosen' the passenger seat and swivel it forward so that the battery may just be pulled out straight. Groan!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by STLML350
I have watched the video which is very good. But what is a memory saver and where can I get one? My 2010 ML350 Blutec is may need a battery soon and having the deal do it is very pricey.
Memory saver:
Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive
You plug it into a 12-volt source like a jumpstarter or another car's cigarette lighter and the other end into the OBDII port on your car. There are cheaper ones that use a 9-volt battery and connect into the car's cigarette lighter, but most Benz's have the cigarette lighter circuit deactivated with the key off, so the accepted wisdom is you need the OBDII one, although I haven't confirmed that myself.

If it were I, and I had an Advance Auto Parts around, seriously, I would just take it there and have them change it for free, even though it was fun to do it myself at the end of the day. I have a lot of info on this in the thread I linked to above.

Also you can try Pep Boys (some of which may charge you and some of which won't; you can tell by looking online); Pep Boys uses a memory saver when they change your battery, and you can ask Advance if they will use one. Or Sears.

Advance is probably the best total price and friendly-service and local-business combo. Also, Advance will test your battery for free with the Midtronics tester, which is the only one that accurately tests AGM batteries and is the tester MB recommends.

If you plan to do it yourself, this one is a good deal, especially if you have Prime, so you get free 2-day shipping.
Amazon.com: ACDelco 49AGM Professional Automotive AGM BCI Group 49 Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 49AGM Professional Automotive AGM BCI Group 49 Battery: Automotive

Last edited by wjcandee; 02-12-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jpalamaro
BTW, the dealer said they 'loosen' the passenger seat and swivel it forward so that the battery may just be pulled out straight. Groan!
My pleasure to help! Glad it was such a simple fix!

My Indy just takes out the seat as well, but I think the problem with that is that you can introduce gremlins inadvertently when doing so. "Gee, why is my seat rattling/crooked/not moving anymore/cold?" etc... So I thought best to leave well enough alone.