M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Detail on door mirror blinker install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Blutec
Detail on door mirror blinker install

I have a 2010 ML350 and have to replace the LED light in the mirrir housing, drivers side. Getting the part is easy enough however getting to the inside of the mirror assembly is a little tough. Can anyone provide a detail on how to do that? Ive had a few people say just yank it off, im sure thats not correct. The bezzel that fits around the mirror looks to be able to come off, but I dont want to break if that is not the correct process. If I tilt the mirror all the way down to look for the tabs, there are black tabs sticking back in the mirror that keep from seeing the metel tabs that a few people say just pop those loose. Love the truck but doing owner maintaince is a biotch! Darn German egineers make things more complicted then needed!!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
There are quite a number of explanations and videos floating around the internet on how to remove the mirror glass to get at the insides. Use your buddy Mr. Google to find them. However.... even after reading every darn one of them and watching several videos, I couldn't get my mirror glass off. There is just a simple clip behind the glass that you snap off with a screwdriver, but danged if I can figure out how to do it. I'm going to have to get it done by the dealer. I suspect it is one of those things that once you have done it is incredibly simple, but I sure don't want to break the gla$$ trying to figure it out.

BTW, are you sure you need to replace the LED? It is not uncommon for wires in the mirror to break inside their insulation, meaning the turn signal stops operating and your dash tells you that every time you signal to make a turn. In my case it is intermittent, which is even worse.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 AM

ML350 Blutec
I stopped by a more helpful MB dealer yesterday, he showed me the service screen that noted where the clip is and how to pop off, also discussed the possible issue of the broken wire which I can get to and check once I get the mirror and housing off.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM

ML 320 W164
Can you describe the process of releasing the mirror?

Better still, how to put it back..
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM

ML350 Blutec
Originally Posted by paulg
Can you describe the process of releasing the mirror?

Better still, how to put it back..
To get it off, you tilt the mirror down all the way, there is a wire that clips at the top that you use a flat blade screw driver to push down, it has to bend the wire to get it off. The wire is located top center of mirror. I have not done the process yet, waiting for the weekend. I am betting once you have it off, you clip the bottom back in and then push the top into place or if possible use the screw driver and push that wire down and slide the mirror back in to place. I may take the screw driver blade and file a little notch in the blade so it secures the wire while I flex that wire. Once I do this, I will post again and note problems or issues.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 S550 and 2014 GL 550 gone but not forgotten: 2006 ML500
Any updates?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:38 AM

ML350 Blutec
sorry to take so long to get back.
Tilt mirror all the way down, then with your fingers or a larger screw driver pop the mirror downn, my style has a plastic mount to the motor.there should be 3wires in your mirror , 2 for the heater and a connector for something else. Then there are 5tabs around the mirror bezzel that yo have to unhook 2 on top, one on the far outside of the mirror 1 on bottom and 1 toward the door. You flex those far enough to pull the bezzel from the body and thaose come off. I need to scan the full 3 pages. There are 3 screws that hold the motor in, 15 torx. 2 torx that hold the blinker in. I thought i had a bad blinker but it was nof the LED it was the wires, they broke, i soldered them back together and shrink wraped then taped the wires. Took a few hours to do but bet dealer woud have charged 3 hours labor yo fix. I have that they do not have a new replacement wire assembley which they should have, poor design.