M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How much power can a radar detector really use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
How much power can a radar detector really use?

I'm trying to figure out my best option for installing a radar detector in a 2009 ML 550. I absolutely do not want it plugged into the center console (which would require the ashtray to be out all the time).

I found a 12v socket underneath the passenger side dashboard that seems to be picky about turning off... Sometimes after locking the car, it shuts off, but sometimes not.

Does anybody know what the logic is behind that socket (or if it's malfunctioning)? Will a radar detector drain enough power to make an appreciable impact on the battery, or do I need to bite the bullet and tap it to the console lighter?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:14 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I wouldn't connect it to that 12V outlet because there is probably some logic on when it shuts down (30 mins after car locked, etc.). It is much safer to connect directly to something that is guaranteed to power off. You don't want this thing running down your battery when the car is off.

Depending on how high/low on the windshield you want it, you can use the cigarette lighter in the ashtray or the dome lamp at the top. They are both places that shut down when the car is closed and locked (the dome lamp may take a few seconds).

Take off the part and hardwire your wire directly to power. Then run the cord to where you are going to install your detector.

The ashtray cigarette lighter is really easy to take off. Open the drawer, and you'll see two small torx screws, one on each side. Unscrew then pull the entire drawer out which will bring out the ashtray, cigarette lighter, and frame. Then wire to the back of the cigarette lighter.

You can use your existing radar detector power cord, just wire in a 12V receptacle and then plug into that. Use some electrical tape so the plug and socket don't pull apart, then hide it all behind the dash... won't take much room. I have done this many times with Garmin GPS units,etc.

Here is what you need:
Amazon.com: NOCO GC018 12V Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO GC018 12V Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal: Automotive

It has a fuse built into it and everything. Just cut off the ring terminals, strip, and wire directly to the power wires on the back of your cigarette lighter or dome lamp.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes ML 350
Mine is connected to the outlet under the glove compartment . The power cable goes up on the right side, then between windshield and dashboard to the center air vents . My RD is secured with a small piece of Velcro between the air vents. When the ignition is turned on the RD gets electricity and when I turn off the car the RD is also off .
The only visible part of the power cable is (about 12 inches) from the detector to the bottom center of the windshield.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
This thread will show where I connected mine:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post5647263
Old 12-12-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
If you really want to know, put an ammeter inline and measure. Radar detectors consume a surprising amount of power. Most I've seen get uncomfortably hot.