M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164: Ceika Coilover Kit/ Install-Tech Write up w/pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
W164: Ceika Coilover Kit/ Install-Tech Write up w/pictures

Hey Everyone-

I just wanted to start a thread about coilovers that I will be installing in the next two weeks or so. I ordered them last night from www.ceikaperformance.com. They are one of the few companies that I found with a developed product for the W164 (2006-2011) ML platform. My OE shocks are tired and starting to leak. I think I've about worn the Internet out searching for replacement options. I feel like all the big box store products (including OE) are so overpriced. Bilstein has been less than helpful in my quest to source a generic shock, so that I could reuse the original mounting hardware (an attempt to reduce insane shock prices). I'm a working class guy and can afford the OE replacements, but if I'm spending over $700 for all 4 shocks why not go all in and replace OE with superior products? I plan on updating this thread with pictures as the project progresses....arrival and installation. When completed, I will do a thorough tech review/write up with pictures. I've found several mentions of this companies products on the sedans but not any SUVs, while cruising the forums. I chatted with customer service, and flushed out the specifics that I wanted in about 10 minutes. I went with the no frills base package (no add-ons). I requested the street fast/ lowering valving and spring rates. If I wanted very specific rates/valves this was easily done. Each of the shocks are dynoed and matched. My hopes are that this thread will help out some of my fellow W164 owners out there. Please feel free to comment, ask questions. I'm just a DIYer mechanic, with some very entry level rally training (O'Neils Rally). I mention this as a background on why I'm into superb handling, and the possibilities of the W164.

Found on EBay (originally):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEIKA-Type-1...9WduwE&vxp=mtr

Went directly to their site:

www.ceikaperformance.com
(used their chat feature - amazing customer service)

http://ceikaperformance.com/Type-1M-...r-Kit-p35.html
(The kit)

Silverfox09
Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 AM

ML 320 W164
Good to see someone looking into W164 suspension in depth.

Please keep us informed...

From a UK perspective, I've no idea what "coilovers" are, it's not a term we use here. They look very nice in the pictures, but what makes them different from OE?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM

ML320
Paulg,

Thanks for the post. Here is a link that is far more eloquent than I: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover. The explanation is maybe to simplified? More to your point: essentially there is no difference. The w164 has a factory spring over setup. Some of my decision points to move to the aftermarket vs. OEM, were cost of OEM replacement parts and ride quality. The W164 w/o air suspension rides like a boat on OEM shocks, and sits slightly high for my tastes. Many guys want to lower the ride height, whether it be for appearance or ride quality. Lowering springs will handle the asthetics and give you a tighter "feel". I want these things as well but I truly want to improve the handling of the vehicle. I've had a little vehicle training so I push all my vehicles to their limit. My w164 has much room for improvement. The Bilstein B12 pro Kit was going to cost me $1300 USD, but essentially it is a B6 shock with a lowering spring. The Ceika kit is giving me all of this and the ability to adjust the dampening, use linear springs vs progressive springs. Thanks for responding stay tuned. Cedric from Ceika contacted me today and let me know the kit will be shipping tomorrow!!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:33 AM

ML 320 W164
Silverfox09,
Thanks for the link, now I know!
I agree that the W164 sits unnecessarily high....my local rubbish dump won't allow me in because my car is so high that it's classed as a commercial vehicle.

I'd like to lower the hight but not make the ride significantly harder. UK roads these days are more like what you would expect in a third-world contry, so stiffening the ride would just mean I spend more time dodging potholes...

Looks like you have an interesting project on your hands, look forward to hearing how it works out.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 AM

ML320
Update with pics

Gentleman,

They have arrived. Ceika shipped them on the 6th from Taiwan. It arrived here in Baltimore on the 7th!!!!!!! Weather permitting, I hope to get these installed this weekend.

The Kit:

http://imgur.com/gallery/0up6x
Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Mercedes ML
@Silverfox; Hi, I am in the market for Coilovers to fit a W164 MBML and like you have found pickings a bit on the slim side. I checked out Ceika's website, spoke to a guy called Jean Loup to check compatibility etc. (you were right; stellar customer service over Live chat), and it all looks good from that side so I was wondering if you've gotten round to fitting yours? and if so how did it go? any feedback at all would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cl500
I wish there was an update