M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2007 ML steering / air-matic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML steering / air-matic problem

I have a really weird problem with my 2007 ML 320 CDI airmatic 157.000 km:

When steering there is *sometimes* quite a bit of free movement of the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn. This is different at different speeds and is more noticeable sometimes and sometimes less.

If I try to raise the car - the problem goes away for a while even after I lower it again, but then comes back at a random time.

Also, I've noticed there is a strange single metallic "knack" noise sometimes after the car was raised and I start driving and steering.

I have been to a number of Mercedes Benz shops - all of them just suggested to start replacing all the parts of the suspension one by one starting with the cheapest to more expensive - basically they have no idea.

There were also some metal noises from front right and rear while driving slow over bumps, but those seem to be unrelated.

I've ordered a whole suspension kit from e-bay and just had everything replaced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121926551329?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The mechanic who replaced those parts said that most of the old parts he removed were actually in a very good conditions.

All in all the result is that there are no more noises while I am driving over the bumps, however the steering problem is still there and there is still a single metal "knack" after I raise the car and start driving and steering after that.

QUESTIONS:

- What can this be?

- How to diagnose the problem?

Any help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Alex Yushin