M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Removal of side mirror signal light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
01 S600
Removal of side mirror signal light

No offense, but I have found the videos and postings on this topic to be terrible. It is very simple and very simple to explain right.

You are removing 5 pieces: The the mirror, the signal light insert, the mirror motor, the FRONT bezel of the mirror cover and the BACK Mirror cover. There are TWO parts to the shroud.

1. Removing the mirror is well documented. You motor the mirror inward as much as possible. You can either use a screwdriver for the little tabs or, as I did , handfeel as you pull the mirror outward and a little upward with a little more pull towards the outward side of the mirror. Once off, remove the 3 connectors and put mirror aside.

2. unscrew the 3 small Philips screws that hold the little hockey puck motor and unplug its connector. Put motor aside.

3. Unscrew the 2 small Philips screws that hold the signal light and let it dangle.

4. With a flathead screwdriver, gently pry open each of the 3 PLASTIC catches that hold the FRONT bezel of the mirror cover. IT will pop right off. Put it aside.

5. There are 4 little catches: two front center and two back outward sides that hold the signal light connector and the back cover. There is also a little pair of white nylon catches for the electrical connector for the signal light. First undo the connector. Push the white nylon catches together and inward as far as they will go. They will stick out a little. Pry to two black catches up and inward. The connector will kind of disappear into the mirror. Next gently pry the two back catches on the back top and bottom of the mirror back cover. It will pop right off. The mirror is spring loaded so you can pop it out a half inch to ease this operation. unplugh the signal light connector and pul out the little vanity bulb.

6. Test the vanity bulb with 12V or an Ohm meter. If your new oem signal light did not come with the vanity connector transplant the old one over.

7. Attach new signal light to back cover with the two Philips screws. Reinstall in reverse order.

My car is black. Do not do this facing the sun and use a powerful light to be able to see anything at all in there.

Time with this instruction set 30-60 minutes. Time with the other explanations 2 hours plus.
The following users liked this post:
jimo (01-07-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML550
I agree and thanks for your detailed description. You should make a YouTube video of the process.