M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Sudden Loss Of Power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
Sudden Loss Of Power

I was driving about 40 MPH in my well maintained ML320 with 88,000 miles on it this afternoon when suddenly the engine started to run rough, the Check Engine Light came on, and I had a complete loss of power. I was able to coast to the side of the road.

Shut off the engine and tried to restart. It kicked over and immediately stalled. Repeated the process with the same result. Called AAA for a flatbed. Waited just over an hour for the driver who asked me if I had tried to start it again. I said no and turned the key. The engine started right up with the Check Engine Light on. No rough idle. Was able to drive it a short distance with the driver to make sure all was OK before sending him off.

Drove about 10 miles to my MB Indy shop with the CEL still on but no issues. Owner told me it has happened with the gasoline motors when a sensor goes out, but he did not recall it happening to a diesel. Was not able to diagnose today and I left the vehicle with them. Will call me tomorrow.

Anybody have this happen to their diesel?
Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 PM

Update - Had a call from my MB Indy shop. The only code stored was for Fuel Rail Pressure, but nothing more definitive. They drove it trying to duplicate the stall I experienced, but the truck ran fine with no CEL.

The former MB Master Tech, who also has a 2008 ML320, told me based on his experience that most likely it is the fuel pump in the tank. Seems like the 2006-2009 models are known for this after 60K miles. There are three fuel related components all of which are expensive according to him. He suggested monitoring to see if there is a reoccurrence as just replacing parts does not make sense due to cost. Did not charge me for the time.

Now just have to wait and see.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Have been driving with no repeat issue but not knowing if/when it might happen again made me nervous.

Decided to ask my other MB indy shop. The owner concurred with the first shop and also pointed to the low pressure fuel pump, telling me that yes, they are prone to have problems in my model year range in my mileage range.

As we have an 800 mile trip coming up I decided to have the pump replaced.