M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How does ECU reprogramming work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164, W108
How does ECU reprogramming work

Hi

I have a om642 diesel and a lot of things seem to require the dealer / shop to reprogram or intervene with the ECU. I would like to:

replace air filters
turn off egr
turn off dpf

How is this really done? It baffles me that tuning files are not being sent around and critiqued.

I get that there is some software called "star" which you can buy on an old laptop for around $500. Does that allow you to download the ECU firmware and scroll through the lines of code until you find what you need to fiddle with?

What other equipment can do this? Does the Autel DS708 permit this code changes like it says it does?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dear Mr. Confused, you have asked some very basic questions that will best be answered not buy us providing you with pages of knowledge, but by you doing your homework on the subject.

I guess what I am saying is get of the couch and spend hours doing google searches on the very technical subject of automotive computer systems.

In it's simplest form electro mechanical components need instructions to preform a function, that instruction is a software language. If you want to change, add or delete a function you either update the current software or erase the old function and provide a new software instruction.

And because of the complexity of the auto system car manufactures have designed diagnostic hardware that is able to look and read all the instructions(code) and depending on authority have the ability to add and or make changes to the system. In MB's case this called DAS Xentry\XDOS aka Star.

And no you can't scroll through the various ECU code with Star---to do so you need software that can read the original language--search the web there are thousands of russinan and chicom products to do that.

Tuning files are an individuals attempt to change something for the better(so they say)----why would those individuals want to give those files away when they make money off their knowledge and experience.

Ask Autel about their capabilities.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Dear Mr. Confused, you have asked some very basic questions that will best be answered not buy us providing you with pages of knowledge, but by you doing your homework on the subject.

I guess what I am saying is get of the couch and spend hours doing google searches on the very technical subject of automotive computer systems.

In it's simplest form electro mechanical components need instructions to preform a function, that instruction is a software language. If you want to change, add or delete a function you either update the current software or erase the old function and provide a new software instruction.

And because of the complexity of the auto system car manufactures have designed diagnostic hardware that is able to look and read all the instructions(code) and depending on authority have the ability to add and or make changes to the system. In MB's case this called DAS Xentry\XDOS aka Star.

And no you can't scroll through the various ECU code with Star---to do so you need software that can read the original language--search the web there are thousands of russinan and chicom products to do that.

Tuning files are an individuals attempt to change something for the better(so they say)----why would those individuals want to give those files away when they make money off their knowledge and experience.

Ask Autel about their capabilities.

Plutoe, your forum name should Uranus(e) because your acting like a ***. You are supposed to share info on this forum and not tell members to search Google for their information . That is what makes this a great site for info

Last edited by Rainers; 05-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.