M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Paint thickness variations, fraud indicator?

Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Paint thickness variations, fraud indicator?

Has anyone here ever used a paint thickness detector to measure the thickness of paint on MB vehicles that allegedly have "no damage history"?

I talked to a certified Daimler vehicle evaluator the other day and he told me it's not uncommon for vehicles to be damaged in transit, be repaired and repainted, and no report made either to CARFAX or to buyers. A paint thickness detector works by measuring the distance between the detector tip and the underlying metal, and it shows when the vehicle has been repainted.

That, to me, is fraud!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
This is the case. They do get damaged and repaired without any disclosure and you think your buying a perfectly new car.

The problem is the car has no ownership prior to being purchased from the dealer. So even if they wanted to they couldn't report it to Carfax. And even if they could they wouldn't want to.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
You are being completely silly. The manufacturer never represented the vehicle as being untouched by human hands from the time it emerged off the end of the assembly line. What if it failed inspection at the factory and required some refinishing before being shipped? What if it required a mechanical repair prior to being delivered?
In practice manufacturers have policies to disclose shipping damage which exceeds a set percentage of the value of the vehicle. See BMW vs. Gore in the U.S. This case is more about punitive damage awards, but it exposes that BMW's standard was damage beyond 3% of the list price of the car would be disclosed to the buyer.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:55 AM

You are showing your complete ignorance of the facts. WTF does "untouched by human hands" have to do with the subject of this thread?

The paint in the areas in question is TWICE the thickness of paint in other areas of the vehicle. That is not "failed inspection" except in someone's overactive imagination. When BOTH the front left and rear right show repair and repaint that is clearly more than 3% of the value of a $65,000 car. Besides, I bought a CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED. "Certified" does not mean "We don't disclose certain types of damage." Chicken**** excuse.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Your original post is misleading, it implies we are discussing a brand new car. So you've bought a used car and it has had paint work? The CPO standard for MBUSA is "no frame damage." CPO cars can have paint and body work per MB. Sounds like you were simply lied to by a used car salesman. This is between you, the dealership, and whether you have an enforceable contract for a car that never had body work. Goodbye.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow5501
Your original post is misleading, it implies we are discussing a brand new car.
No, that was your imagination. You should limit yourself to reading what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

So you've bought a used car and it has had paint work?
Where did you learn to read English? K-Mart? I bought a CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED VEHICLE that was sold to me as "no damage history" and has had the rear right and front left fenders repainted. Get it now???

Goodbye.
Great, don't let the door hit you in the ***.