M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2009 Diesel ML320 Malfunctions after Battery Swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDI
2009 Diesel ML320 Malfunctions after Battery Swap

Hey everyone,

Recently I took a road-trip with the 2009 ML320, and while there the tailgate stopped latching, that was a frustrating experience. My ML has given me a lot of issues, these being the latest batch. After a couple of days, the car was dead in my garage, no power, nothing. I called CAA, and they jumped the battery, and I was able to roll the car back onto my driveway. Upon further testing, they said that I would need a new battery (first they thought it was the alternation, phew.) After having them replace my battery on my driveway, I went about my day.

In the evening I had to take the car, and when I unlocked it, I noticed it was not normal. The headlights, taillights, and mirror lights flickered abnormally fast upon both unlocking and locking. I turned the car on, and a number of errors came up on screen (PRE-SAFE disable, check AdBlue [20 starts, I refilled AdBlue recently], and Cruise Control disabled), on top of that a number of buttons on the dashboard stopped working, the indicators were not working (hazards worked, thank God), the wipers were not working, lights were not working, and I don't know what else. The engine itself became very loud, the closest I can explain is it sounded like a vacuum engine. But at least the car was driving, I had to take it to get a carwash.

I'm going to be taking this to my mechanic on Monday and I wanted to hear from you all about what could be going on because I'm genuinely frustrated and tired, every time something comes up with the truck and it's draining me.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
First off, I am not an expert on diesels or 2009's.
When changing the battery did the Aux Battery get changed? That can cause a lot of control problems if it's not in good working condition. Also, form my readings, have you had any water intrusion? Also sounds like some of the problems I've read about because of SAM units getting wet.
Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by dfghhgfd
First off, I am not an expert on diesels or 2009's.
When changing the battery did the Aux Battery get changed? That can cause a lot of control problems if it's not in good working condition. Also, form my readings, have you had any water intrusion? Also sounds like some of the problems I've read about because of SAM units getting wet.
Just a couple of thoughts.
They didn't change the auxiliary battery, and I can't recall any specific instance of water intrusion on the SAM units. My mechanic shook his head the moment he heard CAA and battery replacement in one sentence. He basically said these cars are too "finicky" to be simply serviced by CAA and the likes, newer models being worse due to the amount of tech. inside.