M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need to update the car stereo system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 CDI Sport
Need to update the car stereo system

I need to update the car stereo system on my ML 320 CDI sport (with sat nav)
I popped into halfords and they said they can't provide me with a updated android stereo because
my car has a sat nav already built in. does anyone know where I can buy one from?
I want to update it so I can connect my phone to it to play music from my phone.

Can anyone help?
Car- ML 320 CDI sport 2008
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
When looking for Android car stereos look for the newest Android version you can find. I haven't noticed any with the newest versions as in your phone, but these 2 are supposed to be Android 7.1. There are many out there on EBay and Amazon with Android 5 and 6. Also, if you have the Harmon Kardon audio system you have the MOST fiber optic system in your car and you will need an adapter to get the head units output into the Mercedes audio equipment if you intend to continue to use the factory speakers and amp. When switching over to this type of a setup, you will also be able to use any 2 din head unit plugged into the adapter with a trim ring that will fill in the rest of the hole that is left removing the factory head unit. There is one thing to be aware of when using these MOST adapters, you will still have control of some audio adjustments from the steering wheel, but not all as with the factory head unit. Volume works, for example. Your in dash displays of GPS information and Audio information will not work if you use a standard 2 din replacement head unit. I'm not sure about the Android units, as some claim to still have all the factory functions available. Another sacrifice is that you will only have a Stereo output, no front and rear adjustments. The adapter only has left and right inputs into the MOST system. Also if you have the factory CD changer in the glove box, it will no longer be of any use once you change the head unit. You can remove it, but if you do you will need a fiber optic jumper if you are still using the factory amp and speakers. The MOST fiber optic system is a loop, and if you remove something you break the loop and it no longer works. So when something is removed you need to put in a jumper to complete the loop. In the case of the head unit, the adapter is the replacement in the MOST fiber loop. Of course there is also the option of just replacing everything and ignoring the MOST system! But that's not exactly plug and play! The other options are pretty close to plug and play.
Bellow is a list of item that should get you going in the right direction to replace your factory head unit with something a little more modern.

Just be aware that there is a little loss of functionality when you start removing factory MOST components.

Try these:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...l-r-clk-c.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-S...xZXzmQ&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-Fiber-...RZ890r&vxp=mtr