M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

08 ML550 burning oil excessively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
08 ML550 burning oil excessively

My 08 ML550 is now ten years old and has 120k miles on it. Three years ago, when it was at 85k miles, it began burning more oil than usual. At that time the "Check Engine Oil" notice came on every 3k miles, and when I check the oil level, the oil was low by 1 to 2 quarts. It progressively got worse that the "Check Engine Oil" notice came on at shorter intervals. Now, after three years since it first began showing signs of high oil consumption, and now at 120k miles, it is burning oil at a much higher rate. It is now burning a quart of oil every 50 to 100 miles.
There is no visible oil leaks. I had it checked out by couple mechanics, and they could not find any leaks. I had it smogged last week to see if the smog check would reveal anything, but it passed the smog check and didn't show anything bad related to the emissions.
Has anyone experienced this issue? What could be causing the car to burn so much oil without an oil leak? If it is burning that much oil should it not cause an issue with the emissions? What can I do to fix this problem? How much would it cost?

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
I am not an engine expert by any stretch of the imagination, but oil doesn't just disappear. It has to be going somewhere. Personally, before I take it to the shop I'd look at a few things...

1. Is the exhaust oily? Put your finger inside the exhaust after it has cooled down and see if you can feel oil in there. You shouldn't. When the car is running you shouldn't see any smoke coming out the back. Blue-Gray or white means oil. Yours is really bad, you might even be able to catch some of it as it comes out by placing a rag close to the exhaust while the engine is running. Most likely culprit could be work cylinder piston rings. It could be a leak in the valve train. A leaking valve means oil may get down into the exhaust. Both of these are major repairs.
2. Look inside your engine coolant tank. Is there any oil floating in there? This could also be a head gasket that needs to be repaired. Or something worse.

Bottom line, take it to a reputable mechanic. Don't wait.