M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

FrancisM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350
FrancisM

18 months ago, rear SAM shorted / corroded due to water intrusion. dealership repaired SAM under my insurance but did NOT fix leak (they said they knew leak was the issue and SAM failure would probably happen again - no guarantees it wouldn't happen.
2 weeks ago spouse was driving - heavy rain - all hell broke loose electrically. Headlights failed, no turn signals, SRS (Safety Restraint System) Caution light, Air Bag, etc.
Dealership wants to charge me to fix leak that SHOULD have been fixed under insurance last time. Says they'll 'clean corrosion' off SAM and reinstall 'to save me money' - but says it'll fail again.

Any others experience Rear SAM Failure due to water intrusion? If so, did MB offer to fix the leak issue? If they's addressed the leak issue when they first found out about it (recall / safety bulletin, etc.), this wouldn't be an issue.

Is it gonna take a catastrophic failure with loss of life to get their attention? If the Rear SAM controls Air Bags, etc, what if they fire off while going 50 mph . . .
Old 05-19-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500

The leak is caused by faulty tail lamp seals which M/B will not acknowledge that this is the cause

Buy both seals and install them yourself. The seals should be adhered to the body opening and not on the lamp, as was done at the factory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Tail Lamp.PDF (98.3 KB, 36 views)