M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Weird Electrical Problem - Steering Lock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K & ML350
Weird Electrical Problem - Steering Lock?

Hey,

My ML350 started stalling out while at stop signs. It was a weird stall out but it would restart. We determined that it was a low power issue and replaced the battery. That fixed it for one day. Then, the next morning, the battery was dead. I then replaced the alternator and confirmed that the battery was holding a charge for at least 24 hours and that the alternator was charging the battery.

So, the car was draining the battery while turned off.

I noticed that while the car is off (no keys in the ignition) that dash lights will flicker every 10-20 seconds and you can hear the radio make a noise like it's checking for CDs. Almost like the car was trying to power itself up and then shorting out or something. I determined that this was what is killing the battery - it does this all night long until the battery is dead.

I then realized that the steering wheel is not locking or unlocking when I turn the car on and off. It's stuck in the unlocked position, which is fine but I think it being stuck is not allowing the car to completely shut down and the car is trying to lock it constantly or something.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!