M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 FACELIFT LED plate bulbs that work (No Error Codes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018 | 10:19 AM

ML 550
W164 FACELIFT LED plate bulbs that work (No Error Codes)

Finaly LED Plate Lights that work and get rid of the error code on the facelift +09 models.

They come all built in with a much larger resistor. If your asking were I got them I got them on WISH. X164 plate bulbs.

Once I installed them I got the message on dash that the bulbs are not operating. Darn I said. Fine I give up.

But I walked out to the back to see what they looked like. They weren't working. What the heck? Then I remembered that LED polarity allow current to flow in one direction.

I took one out and flipped it around. It worked. But how can I mount them now I thought? The shell isn't a symmetrical square. I couldn't take the lights apart either to flip them.

Then it dawned on me. Make a mirror trim on the other side and flip them. Away I went with the dremel.

Finally a solution to facelift W164's. LED plate lights that work with no warnings.

Old 12-09-2020 | 03:46 AM

W164 320 cdi MY 08
Originally Posted by OUZO Power
Finaly LED Plate Lights that work and get rid of the error code on the facelift +09 models.

They come all built in with a much larger resistor. If your asking were I got them I got them on WISH. X164 plate bulbs.

Once I installed them I got the message on dash that the bulbs are not operating. Darn I said. Fine I give up.

But I walked out to the back to see what they looked like. They weren't working. What the heck? Then I remembered that LED polarity allow current to flow in one direction.

I took one out and flipped it around. It worked. But how can I mount them now I thought? The shell isn't a symmetrical square. I couldn't take the lights apart either to flip them.

Then it dawned on me. Make a mirror trim on the other side and flip them. Away I went with the dremel.

Finally a solution to facelift W164's. LED plate lights that work with no warnings.

I know that it is an old thread. If possible can we have a feedback on how the LED license plate bulbs have held up over time? Any issue or even malfunction in the instrument cluster?
Old 12-17-2020 | 04:28 AM

2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by albi.ad8
I know that it is an old thread. If possible can we have a feedback on how the LED license plate bulbs have held up over time? Any issue or even malfunction in the instrument cluster?
I bought a similar set from Amazon. Lasted 2 months before burning and melting the surrounding area.
Old 12-17-2020 | 05:06 AM

W164 320 cdi MY 08
Originally Posted by Solo wing
I bought a similar set from Amazon. Lasted 2 months before burning and melting the surrounding area.
Thank you I better stay on the safe side and not install those at all.