M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML 500 AMG sunroof/electronics issue - need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 300E Blk/Tan
Question 2006 ML 500 AMG sunroof/electronics issue - need help!

I recently bought a 2006 ML 500 AMG with low miles and loaded to the gills. Ran and drove fine, everything worked as expected except an issue with no sound from the radio/Nav unit. My daughter drove it to work the other day and we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain. She left work with a pool on the drivers side floor. She drove straight to a nearby Mavis where her husband works. He opened the sunroof and cleared out the drains with air. They then tested them and found no further leaks inside, and verified that the test water was running out where it should. She then brought it home and I vacuumed the carpet and headliner with a shop vac. Every thing seemed ok except the turn signals which were not working at all. later that night I put the key in and checked to see if the turn signals would work. Not only were they not working but a whole host of warning lights were on including air bags,ABS system, check engine, an then a message something about going direct to a service center and not changing the gear. Also at that time a chime started to go along with the msg. I could not get this to stop. the next morning it was still going....and the car would not start. Dead.

There is not a single blown fuse anywhere, although in the process of checking them all the chime and message seem to have cancelled and stopped. The pass side is bone dry, so is from rear of the drivers foot well back. Under the dash does not seem wet. I dropped down the panel under the drivers side dash and checked. I took the sill plate off and lifted the carpet as much as I could to let it dry out in there. Drivers side foot well took the biggest bath.

Right now the thing is absolutely dead. Nothing electronic works. No fuses are blown and the battery registers 14 volts. As far as I have been able to determine there are no SAMs in that area of this vehicle. I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone give me some direction or ideas?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Under the driver floor board/carpet are electrical components.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Central Gateway Unit.PDF (145.8 KB, 237 views)
R&I Central Gateway Unit #2.pdf (123.8 KB, 67 views)
The following users liked this post:
Andy_M (09-20-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 AM

'90 300E Blk/Tan
UPDATE / CORRECTION

Thank you Maj. Dundee

It appears that my daughter left the sunroof open a small amount, it poured, and the driver side footwell got soaked in my 2006 ML500. We cleaned the drains in case it was caused by that, but we didn't get much out of them, they seemed pretty clean. Everything worked and ran just fine before this event. Now I have all kinds of error messages and lights and I can't start it. That footwell, of course, is where the CGW is located apparently, so all kinds of error indicators were triggered. Also. the batteries were both drained and now need to be replaced as they will not take a charge.

As I understand it, I will need to remove the drivers side footwell carpet dry everything out, replace the batteries, reset all the error codes, and it might just be ok. If not I may have to replace the CGW and have it reprogrammed. So question # 1 is does this process sound correct so far?

Also, as I understand it, if I purchase the STAR diagnostic system with DAS installed, I can use this system to cancel the codes and diagnose the CGW. Then, if needed, I can use it to program the replacement CGW. (I have the build sheet from my VIN so I know what equipment is in the vehicle and what is not.) Question #2: Is this also correct?

The STAR system cost a a few bucks, so I would really like if someone could confirm that I am headed in the right direction here. I am a decent, if dated, mechanic, and my son-in-law is an ASE certified mechanic.

Last edited by Andy_M; 09-20-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Buy this scanner instead. It will do everything that is required. Make sure you get the FULL SYSTEM one.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Andy_M (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM

'90 300E Blk/Tan
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Buy this scanner instead. It will do everything that is required. Make sure you get the FULL SYSTEM one.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MD802-M...autel+maxidiag
....Including program a new CGW if necessary ? It would appear so, but I take it you have one of these so I am betting that you know.......

BTW....does the rest of that post sound about right?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
The CGW must be programmed, but only with Star.