M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

shutter/vibration while under load

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164 & w203
shutter/vibration while under load

w164 owners,

Desperate newbie needs your help. I have a 2011 MB ML350 with 155k miles. Recently my MB has been experiencing a shutter/vibration while under a load. I had the vehicle checked out at a reputable local mechanic for European vehicles. First, I had them drive the vehicle around the block to get an idea of the shutter/vibration. Then, they inspected the vehicle while it was on the lift at various speeds. They meticulously looked over the vehicle for a good two hours to no avail. They mentioned that the shutter/vibration is not only occurring while the vehicle is at a load, but at highway speeds as well. Personally, I do not notice any vibration while driving at highway speeds, and notice it most when the vehicle is in third gear shifting into fourth. However, I do notice the RPM's struggling back and fourth between 1800 to 2200 throughout the drive. They found nothing wrong with the transmission, driveshaft, differential, or any bearings or joints. However, they noted that the engine visibly shakes. At the time, I needed new tires and they mentioned that that could be the issue entirely. Again, they were unsure. Since then, I have replaced the tires and the shutter/vibration is neither better or worse. In addition to the tires, I replaced the spark plugs. The shutter/vibration is still very noticeable, but slightly better. Although that could very well be due to a placebo. The vehicle idles perfectly. Everything is as it should suppose to be. However, the most baffling part about this is that the vehicle does not shutter/vibrate while the engine is cold. The shutter/vibration only begins to become noticeable while the vehicle is reaching optimal engine temperature. I would appreciate your suggestions as well as advice and guidance.

Thank you for reading!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
I've experienced that with other vehicles but not with my ML. When an engine stumbles under load, it's often a secondary ignition problem in my experience. You've already changed the spark plugs. It could be ignition coil(s).

I'm surprised that your euro mechanic was not able to troubleshoot this.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164 & w203
Originally Posted by Eich
I've experienced that with other vehicles but not with my ML. When an engine stumbles under load, it's often a secondary ignition problem in my experience. You've already changed the spark plugs. It could be ignition coil(s).

I'm surprised that your euro mechanic was not able to troubleshoot this.
Eich,

How can it be for certain that it's the ignition coil(s) when the "check engine" light was not on to troubleshoot? In fairness, the check engine light did come on only months later for code P0306 which is a engine misfire in cylinder six. In troubleshooting to determine if the misfire would travel, I simply switched the 2nd and 6th ignition coils. However, within less than a week the check engine light went off by itself, but the problem remained the same. Maybe just a coincidence, but unrelated to the real issue? Thoughts?