M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Hi. Need help with some electrical issues

Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 cdi (w164)
Hi. Need help with some electrical issues

Hi
my name is Joey and I own a 2007 Mercedes ML320 cdi.
im having some electrical issues with my car and I hope you can help.

first of all, bought the car with esp and srs lights on.
second thing, after a cold night the car doesn’t want to start- it takes about 15 minutes to manage to start it and when I manage to do so it starts with tons of black smoke from the exhaust for about 20 seconds.
after I start it for the first time it doesn’t do problems for the rest of the day only when it sits for about 5 hours or more on a cold weather.

lets get to the weird things
every once a while like once a week or so the rear windows start to open by itself. Especially the left one. When I close it it opens again.
last time it happend the wipers started working and all the lights on clusters came on and the car shut off during driving. Lost power steering and brakes.
started it and again same thing happend.
Managed to get home since I was very close, went to sleep and when I woke up- no starter, the car doesn’t even try to start.
thiking all this problems are because of the battery went and bought one- installed it and there was a little bit of water in the battery compartment something that I understood doesn’t suppose to be there.

anyway I took out the water with a towel installed the battery since then everything is fine even the cold start on the morning is easy and it starts for the first time.

but 2 days ago same thing happend, on a highway the rear windows start opening then the wipers came on and the sunroof open a little bit and then all the lights came on and the car shut down leaving me with no steering and no brakes a hour away from home. I managed to slowly stop , turned the key and the car start immediately and got home (1hour drive) with no problems since then.

anyone had those problems? What can it be?
is it one or more faulty components?

thank you for your help
Old 04-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ML420 W164 (2009)
Welcome along.

Firstly get yourself a scanner that can read MB codes.

Then check your front and rear SAM units for water damage. There's loads of threads on here about this, so grab a coffee and sit down to do a search.

Post back with your findings.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Joey, you bought yourself a problem and it is going to be time consuming and expensive.

STOP trying to start the eng. Every time you attempt to start it and it doesn't start, diesel fuel is injected into the cylinders and remains there until it leaks down into your engine oil supply. This is why there is black smoke in the exhaust. Dangerous and engine damaging.

Texterted is correct in that you must have your own scanner and it should be this one.

Amazon Amazon

Is the rug on the front passenger side wet?