M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Which wire at front SAM indicates drivers door open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Which wire at front SAM indicates drivers door open

I have bought a partly disassembled wreck (motor and transmission untouched) with no key, and I would like to fire up the cluster to see what the mileage is and scan what I can with the OBD

the wreck is a 2009 (late) ML350CDI

Unfortunately someone has partially cut the wiring harness as it runs up the A pillar (all the wires to the door are cut, also the wires to the OBD port) The drivers door is missing the latch in any case

I have sorted the wires to the OBD port as best I can (just not sure which earth wire is which) but as yet been unable to wake it up to scan with the Autel scanner (thanks MajDundee the Autel gives me heaps more info than the Snapon did on the other cars).

I was hoping someone could give me the wire that indicates the drivers door has been opened to wake up the cluster (and probably the OBD port also)

I have been told the wreck has 133,000km on it, the wear on the brake pedal rubber is about right for it, and the steering wear looks right for that as well but I would really like to see what the odometer says, and also scan what I can without a key

Much of the wiring is disassembled - seats out - HVAC out - no external lights - steering column gone - no Command or HIFI - no centre console - but all this has been unplugged via plugs etc so there are no cut wires other than the ones on the A pillar (I assume someone was going to take the whole drivers door without undoing the plug on the door for some stupid reason - the door is still on but no lock etc - I have separated all the wires where cut to avoid sparks etc

I have attached the ignition switch, cluster, headlight switch etc but still nothing

Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Just a note to say I got the speedo fired up - turned out the earth to the cluster was disconnected - didn't need the door open signal as I just pressed the R button on cluster and got the mileage - 130942km - yay

Still cannot get the OBD port to work but as I don't have the key I probably wont get too many codes anyway so not critical but I suppose it would be desirable
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You have a huge problem because for two reasons, #1 M/B does not offer the purchase of a spare key as they did in the W163 models, only the complete key. #2, even after purchase, the key must be programed by the dealer and that means that you have to bring the veh. to the dealer.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Oh well - I bough tit as a parts car (cannot be registered - heave rear side accident damage) but it would have been nice to be able to start it to check the components

Am I right in saying the transmission TCU, ECU. Instrument cluster, Ignition switch and Key are all coded to the VIN/togethor?

Does this mean the ECU cannot be recoded? I read a recent thread with someone wanting to change the ECU but thought it would have been difficult

Can a TCU (built into the transmission) be recoded?

I have changed a transmission before but used the old conductor plate/valve body but it would be great if I could recode the TCU as the adaption would be quicker on driving
Old 05-10-2019, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
All of those components that you asked about are married to the vin#. Whether you can recode them, I do not know.