M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Water in rear SAM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2020 | 02:27 PM

2016 GLE300D 2007 ML320CDi 1995S500
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Did you replace both tail light gaskets?
Yes I did, a little over a year ago. The reason this happened again is because one of the last times I washed the car I thought for good measure I would make sure everything was staying dry. I reached my hand down and thought I felt moisture. Pulled the rear SAM (old one) and opened it and saw a small amount of corrosion. Tried cleaning it and putting it back in and then problems happened. So in my cleaning efforts I did more damage than good. While I had the SAM out though I sprayed the heck out of the car from every angle including up from the wheel wells and couldn't get any water in. There was some grease below the SAM that I'm guessing I put my hand into and because my hand was already dirty thought it was moisture. I figured because the car has been out so much and was covered in so much dirt I mind as well just confirm now that the new SAM was in that nothing was getting it. I put two micro fiber towels in the spot, one on the back side and one on top wrapped below the SAM a bit and after washing the car, my hands, and thoroughly drying my hands took them out. They were completely dry. The new gaskets appear to be doing their job well. The new SAM appears to be doing it's job well. Last test I have is for the trailer lights but I'm looking for my trailer light tester as I don't have an actual trailer to hook up to right now. Well that and trying to put another 220K miles on it!
Old 06-18-2020 | 02:30 PM

2016 GLE300D 2007 ML320CDi 1995S500
Also, just for a follow up, I e-mailed the ebay seller and they agreed to give me a full refund on the SAM they sent. I'm disappointment it didn't work plug-n-play as I said but can't fault someone that's willing to stand behind the product they sold. Hoping they will also pay the return shipping but if not I'll eat that minimal cost for the larger refund. My recommendation for others is just get one from MB even if you use an indy to have it installed/programmed or let the indy you will use obtain it....
Old 11-13-2022 | 10:23 PM

2006 ML350
Rear SAM Water - Repair/Replace?

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
That 164 900 # is a valid part # but I have no idea why it was substituted.
Hi Maj,

Wondering if you could help me out. I recently purchased used 2006 3.5L V6 ML350 with 80k miles but having issues: 1) the remote lock/unlock doesn't work 2) automatic trunk won't work (need to manually open/close) and 3) long crank to startup the vehicle (direct battery hookup showed its OK but needed a charge). I took it to local MB dealer who told me they 'found a code for 15R short to ground and found some water intrusion around the Rear SAM + corrosion that will require new repinning and Rear SAM replacement'. $1200+ quoted to replace the SAM + rear passenger tail light gasket.

Would you be able to tell me the Rear SAM module(s) that would work for this vehicle? Also, besides fixing the rear tail light gasket (which I'll be having done), any suggestions of what to do with the Rear SAM...try to remove the existing SAM, brush off any corrosion and hope for the best?

VIN: VJGBB86326A102161
Current Rear SAM:
ZB: A 164 540 89 62
HW: A 164 545 92 32
SW: A 164 442 25 00
Delphi Part no.: 28056035

Any input you can provide would be appreciated - Thanks! -LC
Old 07-29-2023 | 12:03 AM

2007 ml 350
Can you point me to where to buy the silicon gel packets as I have the same problem a

Originally Posted by texterted
If you lift the tailgate and look at the plastic surround, that seals around the body. Is it cracking just above the rear lights?

Mine is, I carefully lifted it and silicon sealed underneath. There's so many potential ingress points though. I use the silicon sachets as a safeguard as water always finds a way, especially on these motors!

Buy a load of them and put them in your underfloor battery compartment front sam, rear sam area, under the spare tyre where the tail lift pump is. Just keep an eye on them.
Can you point me to where to buy the silicon gel packets as I have the same problem a

Old 07-29-2023 | 05:22 AM

2008 MB ML 320CDI w164
Originally Posted by MaverikDS
So first I'll say I've spent a lot of time reading about this and searching it out in the forum. From all of the other posts, I am unable to find a direct answer to my question. My rear SAM had water get to it. I bought the new gaskets for the tail lamps, installed them, cleaned the corrosion off of my rear SAM and re-installed. All my issues seemed to be resolved. This was about a year ago. Yesterday, I washed my car and decided to just make sure than no water was in that area. I took the trim piece off and just put my hand down and could feel moisture. I know I'll likely have to go through cleaning the SAM again but was hoping someone could give a definitive answer as to where the water could be getting in. My 2007 ML320 cdi has the automatic rear hatch. I've seen some mention about a replacement part for the third brake light and also something about water getting in from the automatic tailgate lifter. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to remedy either of those and can't seem to figure out where it would get in from those spots. That of course doesn't mean it's not, I just don't know. Has someone who replaced the gaskets and still received water figured out how to stop it from coming in? I don't use a jet spray on the hose while washing my car but the "gentle shower" option. I didn't spray any water up from the rear tires so I don't know how it could get in from there. When I did the cleaning I also didn't pull out any drains from the floor as I thought the new gaskets should do their job. What are the next steps for preventing water from getting in? I feel like this is a very daunting task for a car I truly enjoy and am worried that it will mean I can't trust it in any type of adverse weather. Thanks for any help in advance.
The water ingress which totally ruined the SAM in my W164 came from the leaking furthest back right hand side rear window. Such leakage is very difficult to spot since the inside is fully covered with trim material. The window had to be replaced since it was broken when the MB workshop tried to take it out to renew the seal.