M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Camshaft Position Sensor Fault ML350 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2020 | 08:29 PM

ML350 Bluetec and GL450
Camshaft Position Sensor Fault ML350 Bluetec

Hello, I am a new member and wanted to share my experience this evening, replacing my 2011 ML350 (X164) camshaft position sensor.

For some time the ML has been driving with a hesitation, sometimes worse than others. A few times it felt like it was struggling to climb our steep driveway and was very hot (electric fans running after switching off)

I purchased the iCarsoft scanner, which is worth every penny and has helped me solve several problems, with my GL450 as well as reset the service counter when I've done the full annual service.

My wife then complained the ML350 lost power and she had to drive home slowly. I scanned the OBDII and saw two faults, B28 Differential Pressure Sensor fault and Hall Effect Camshaft position. Sensor fault. This fault reoccured every time I reset it, although the car sometimes drove okay.

I ordered a new sensor and air cleaner elements. Tonight I replaced the sensor, i had allowed plenty of time, but it only took about an hour and a half, mostly ensuring the air boxes came off and went back on properly. I learned a couple of things.... the Cam position sensor is on the left side of the engine (looking st the engine) on top, just rearward of the oil filler cap (take the plastic beauty cover off). It sits between the first and second injectors on that left side, held in by a single Torx screw. To take it off you have to remove the T-shaped air intake that joins the two airboxes to the turbo. I noted that you don't need to remove the right hand air box at all, and can loosen the left hand box only to change the sensor ! I took the opportunity to change the air filters though. To remove the two airboxes there are two Tors screws, one o virus one at the front and on weird long one at the rear. Don't worry about those, when you go to refit them, the sort of drop into lace and then grab hold themselves as you re-tighten them. The airboxes have two prongs with ball shaped ends on them on their lower edge that stick into two rubber grommets on the side of the engine. Partucularly the right hand one (looking at the engine again) are very difficult to get back in. I discovered that smearing the grommets and the prongs with washing up liquid (Dove) made it really easy!

the only other thing I'd share is that ensuring the flexible hoses that join the T-shaoed duct to the two aurboxes and turbo are really easy to not get pushed on correctly. Undo the three clamps almost fully and push the right hand one on first then ensure th turbo one is close then the left hand one. I found that the turbo connection is ridged, so slips on okay, if you slide the two clamps to the airboxes off the place they sest and in towards the middle, its easier to get the hose over the airbox outlet then seat the clamp back in lace, having ensured the hose is on top and bottom.

Well I hope that helps somebody, as usual Mercedes Medic website is a big help and this site. The car now runs perfectly and the performance is noticeably better. The B28 dpf sensor fault went away with the cam sensor replacement!

Cheers, Phil.
The following users liked this post:
speedlimit (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020 | 06:40 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to MBWorld!

Excellent 'how to' for the community. Thank you!

Bob