M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Steering Wheel not Centering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2020 | 03:03 PM

2016 GLE300D 2007 ML320CDi 1995S500
Steering Wheel not Centering

I just had new steering components put in. I believe it was the rack and pinion but unsure of any other components/parts and don't have access to my receipt right now. I've noticed what I feel like as a result that the steering doesn't return to center nearly as well after a turn. It will still move it's way back it's just very slow. The best way I can describe it is that after a turn you have to physically turn the wheel the opposite direction, as opposed to not holding pressure in the direction of the turn, in order to not overturn out of the lane you would be turning into. I don't mean changing lanes on the highway but making a left or right turn. I asked the shop that performed the service (normal one I go to and I do trust them) and they had a different mechanic take it for a ride with me and he said he thought if felt normal. I just feel like its not crisp at all and really returning to center is terrible compared to before. Could it be new parts just have a new feel or is there something that I could ask to be inspected as well?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MaverikDS
I just had new steering components put in. I believe it was the rack and pinion but unsure of any other components/parts and don't have access to my receipt right now. I've noticed what I feel like as a result that the steering doesn't return to center nearly as well after a turn. It will still move it's way back it's just very slow. The best way I can describe it is that after a turn you have to physically turn the wheel the opposite direction, as opposed to not holding pressure in the direction of the turn, in order to not overturn out of the lane you would be turning into. I don't mean changing lanes on the highway but making a left or right turn. I asked the shop that performed the service (normal one I go to and I do trust them) and they had a different mechanic take it for a ride with me and he said he thought if felt normal. I just feel like its not crisp at all and really returning to center is terrible compared to before. Could it be new parts just have a new feel or is there something that I could ask to be inspected as well?
@MaverikDS please post a clear photo of your service invoice showing the list of parts replaced and the work that was done.

It could be that new ball joints and tie rods have higher friction, creating what you are experiencing. This can be normal within certain limits, and will resolve itself over time. Extra high friction is a characteristic of low cost aftermarket components. Dealer or independent rapid shop?

Also it could be that the alignment is off.

Your service invoice will shed some light on this.
Old 09-28-2020 | 04:57 PM

2016 GLE300D 2007 ML320CDi 1995S500
I will post it once I'm back in town with access in a few days. It was done at an independent shop with all MB parts. It also did have alignment done after new parts were installed. Either way, I'll post once I get the invoice.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020 | 08:49 AM

2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Check wheel alignment. From experience, dealer is the best source for alignment, especially if the car has Airmatic.
Another reason can be the pre-load adjustment is set too high for the steering rack, where it prevents the rack from centering itself back.
Old 10-05-2020 | 07:37 AM

2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
At the end of the steering column there is a universal knuckle fitting that can seize up making the steering very hard. Its intermittent and usually only on part of the turn, but we'll worthwhile to look at if you think its all too tight post the new rack. It might be why you're not getting the centering of the wheel that you should.