M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Problem shifting in Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 03:06 PM

ML320 CDI
Unhappy Problem shifting in Park

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my ML320CDI. When I try to shift in Park it doesn't always work, or it takes around 20seconds of keeping the button pressed for it to work, or by pressing it multiple times it will work. Other times, my last resort is to put it in N turn off the engine, removing the key, and after that the car will shift in P by itself. All the other gears positions work perfect, gearbox runs smooth in all gears. It just driving me nuts this button on the gear selector.

Did some of you ever had an issue like this? Only once I had a code thrown in Xentry, "Intermitent communication gear selector" I deleted the code, and didn't show up again, still the car has the same issue. And to make it more weird, it stared last winter. Then Spring-Summer worked as it should, this winter it started again.

Thank you,

All the best.
Old 01-14-2021 | 12:07 AM

2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by BaloM
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my ML320CDI. When I try to shift in Park it doesn't always work, or it takes around 20seconds of keeping the button pressed for it to work, or by pressing it multiple times it will work. Other times, my last resort is to put it in N turn off the engine, removing the key, and after that the car will shift in P by itself. All the other gears positions work perfect, gearbox runs smooth in all gears. It just driving me nuts this button on the gear selector.

Did some of you ever had an issue like this? Only once I had a code thrown in Xentry, "Intermitent communication gear selector" I deleted the code, and didn't show up again, still the car has the same issue. And to make it more weird, it stared last winter. Then Spring-Summer worked as it should, this winter it started again.

Thank you,

All the best.
Might be an issue with the shifter stick itself. Also, could be an issue with the ISM. In any case, I suggest you get that checked, because a defective ISM might leave you stranded, with the car stuck in "P".
Believe me, getting an AWD suv (with all wheels locked) into a flatbed truck is not a pleasant experience at all!

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2021 | 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Your problem appears to be a battery/batteries issue

When the car is ice cold, gain access to the batteries and with a DVOM check the voltage at the main batt. and also the small auxiliary batt.

Post results.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Battery Main.pdf (169.6 KB, 63 views)