M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Instrument cluster - "with" and "without" Distronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
-
Instrument cluster - "with" and "without" Distronic?

Hi all,

I'm looking around for an instrument cluster for an R-Class (convert mph to metric), and it looks like the ML is compatible. However, the local parts retailers explicitly call out that the instrument cluster they have is "without" Distronic. Is there really a difference on the cluster itself? Isn't it just a question of getting it coded at a MB dealer?

(anyone know how much a dealer charges to code a cluster to a vehicle? And can you even do that to a used cluster, or do you need to buy a brand new, never connected one?)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Read the highlighted area in the PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
I.C. Display Mileage.pdf (56.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 AM

-
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Read the highlighted area in the PDF.
Yep that’s currently done. This will serve in the interim. I was sort of considering getting the 320 km/h cluster though ... I admit it’s pure vanity and is likely unnecessary (after all, I’m unlikely to ever drive over 200 km/h, and even if I do, looking at the cluster is probably the last thing I’ll be doing then) but if I can really get one for 250 bucks + coding, it’s not the end of the world.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
I do not understand what you have written. I do not have any info for R class.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:13 AM

-
I do not understand what you have written. I do not have any info for R class.
Sorry. I was half talking to myself.

- By “320 km/h”, I meant the AMG cluster that is also shared with the ML63 and (possibly) the GL63 of similar years if my research is right (vs the regular 260 km/h cluster on non-AMG cars)
- Though you’re correct that I can switch the indication to km/h on the cluster I have now, it would top out at “200” (since it’s a mph cluster). I’d like to try and get the “correct” metric cluster installed if possible.
- My question would then be twofold:

1) on the ML/GL/whatever other car shares the same cluster (I’m thinking all the Alabama-manufactured ones), what is the difference between a “Distronic” and a “non-Distronic” cluster? I thought the difference was having or not having a small row of LEDs around the speed markings showing where the cruise control is set, but I just looked at my own car’s cluster (it has Distronic) and I see no such LEDs, so I’m unclear in what way there are two different clusters.
2) Is it possible to code a “used” cluster to a vehicle so that it correctly displays the odometer etc? In older cars, I believe a “virgin” cluster would auto-mate with a car, whereas a used one would need to go to a dealer and be coded (but it is still possible). If that remains true, any idea on the cost (or more precisely, the number of hours they charge). This also would impact whether the whole exercise would be worth it or not. (if it’s like 12 hours of work, then meh).

Hope that’s more clear, and thank you for the replies!
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
As I said before, I do not have any info for R class.

Why can't you be satisfied with the PDF info?
Old 01-20-2021, 11:06 AM

-
As I said before, I do not have any info for R class.

Why can't you be satisfied with the PDF info?
Don't worry about it being for the R-Class - I'm currently interested in the ML cluster (since, in my research, it's the same, so I'll take the risk of that). Would appreciate if you could share your view on the ML63 cluster differences for Distronic vs not (W164 generation).

It's not that I would be dissatisfied with the PDF info (thank you for that!), it's that the cluster technically remains a "mph" cluster that just re-gears itself to push the needle further to the right (i.e. if I'm going 200 km/h, it would show the maximum possible velocity on the cluster, as it only goes to "200" units of speed). It's really a visual quirk only, as the rest of the operation would be acceptable in km/h, but that's why I'm doing this research - if I can get it done in at a reasonable cost (i.e. getting a scrapyard ML63 speedometer in km/h and get it coded by a dealer to work with my R63) then I would do it just for the visual pleasure of having 320 km/h on the speedo. Once again, I do agree it's vanity, but on the other hand, it's kind of "the proper" way considering it will now be a metric car.