M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Can the Key Fob remember settings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 02:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 ML350
Can the Key Fob remember settings?

Each of my BMW keyfobs can remember a different seat position, side mirrors settings, steering wheel settings.
Can the ML 350 keyfobs do this as well? Either I totally missed that in the manual or it cannot do that.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:31 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
yes because like the BMW the all the applicable modules have the memory capacity not the key---read your manuals
Old 03-27-2021, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The Mercedes solution is superior ...you select the stored memory from the buttons on the seat control.

This way if the last person left the seat so far forward you can’t get in, you can press the button standing outside the car.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 ML320 BlueTEC, 12 ML350
No, it can't. I came from BMW world too, so I know what OP is talking about. There was "car memory" and "key memory" and the key could be coded to set the car to "Driver X's" preferred settings depending on which key was used. I wouldn't say MB's system is "superior" by any means. Actually, it's rather low-tech because all the key does is authorize the car to start. BMW's remembered one's preferred climate control settings, radio presets, DRL preferences, etc. But these could also be remembered by the car, so it just depended on whose key you grabbed that day. The cars came with colored badges you stuck on the back of your key to identify who it belonged to. It was an early form of iDrive's or (maybe) MBUX's Driver Profiles.

But BMW's stance towards hobbyists/owners using their software is a tad more consumer-friendly than Daimler's, which is how I was able to discover "key memory vs car memory" and which options were coded to which. I'm sure if I had access to STAR/Xentry/DAS I could have some fun.

Interestingly, though, MB did try something similar to BMW. Per MBCA: "In 2003 Mercedes-Benz introduced a fully functional “proximity” smart card to provide access and engine start/stop. The new system was called Keyless Go. However, it proved not to be durable and in 2004 the same functionality was put into a newly designed key fob (2). This proximity function allowed the user to unlock/lock doors (including the fuel filler door) and to start/stop the engine with a push button on the dash. Some versions of the key could be associated with specific settings such as seat and side-view mirror positions. The idea of “his and hers” keys with settings for each driver proved troublesome when keys were used randomly by each person. This function was discontinued after a year of complaints."

Last edited by BenjaminKyle; 04-10-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:16 AM

2011 ML350
I'm from BMW world also definitely some things I wont miss about BMWS but the key memory was a good feature I appreciated, just sticking the key in and your whole environment reconfigures for you is pretty cool.

really like my ML but Mercedes could definitely learn somethings about usability command (and a million buttons and menus) vs I'drive ....dont even get me started :-)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:12 PM

09 ML320 BlueTEC, 12 ML350
Oh God, yeah -- MB's software is ridiculous. I've used COMAND in all of its iterations, but only used iDrive starting with "CIC" whenever it launched (2010, I think) -- and while I know "different strokes" and all, I miss iDrive tremendously. I've used MBUX in loaners and I'm sure I could adapt to it, but still don't feel it's anywhere near as intuitive as iDrive.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 ML350
So the short answer is NO.
Yeah with my BMW's the personal settings (seat, side mirror adjustments) take affect once you unlock the car with your respective key fobs. THAT is what MB needs to do.