M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2021 | 09:41 PM

ML500 2006
Wink Electrical Issue?

I’ve seen a number of similar symptoms described on these pages, but I cannot find a solution. Please help, any suggestions are welcome, but please read the whole description.

The problem; After many different and varied problems, essentially starting with water ingress, my 3 mechanics have gotten to the point of a running vehicle… however, when I start the vehicle, the electrics go berserk and the vehicle will not go into gear or do ANYTHING normal until after 15 mins. One the car is warmed up, by sitting idling for 15 mins, switch off and restart and EVERYTHING is normal.
To re-integrate that point, if I then park and leave it for a couple of hours it will require a shorter warm-up period before working.
Now the difficult stuff, I have replaced the rear SAM, and dash/display module, batteries (both) and probably a bunch of other things.

So reading through other peeps problems I think some of them may have been a similar issue, It took some time for my mechanic to work out that it would work after warming up. I’ve read a number of peoples ‘randomly’ won’t go into gear posts and wonder if they had allowed to car to warm up, would it have worked.

Thanks in advance for any help, I love this car and would like to fix her.
Old 11-26-2021 | 02:06 AM

2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Just confirming that there was no sign of water under the right front seat. The front sam is in that well with batteries and it is very low if driving over water. Or leaking in

other than not going into gear are there any other symptoms? Sounds like there is but the more info the better.

does the horn work?
Old 11-26-2021 | 05:34 PM

ML500 2006
Originally Posted by wannawagon
Just confirming that there was no sign of water under the right front seat. The front sam is in that well with batteries and it is very low if driving over water. Or leaking in

other than not going into gear are there any other symptoms? Sounds like there is but the more info the better.

does the horn work?
Thanks. There was no sign of water in the battery area, however mechanic has replaced what he called ‘the SAM in the battery area’

I am uploading a video of the dash going berserk on startup, I must stress though that when it is ‘warmed up’ this all goes away.

Last edited by Stu - A Gentlem; 11-26-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2021 | 05:40 PM

ML500 2006
Sorry, can’t seem to upload the video, it gives no error, just doesn’t appear