M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 ML320 CDi multiple failures point to front SAM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2022 | 11:53 AM

ML320 CDI 2008 4JGBB22EX8A368386
2008 ML320 CDi multiple failures point to front SAM

Frayed cable on metal connector under passenger seat.
All of these are failing after battery replaced (SRS perhaps before):
SOS TeleAid
Turn signals don't work but emergency signal do.
Wipers (F&R) and washers
Radio audio (intermittent: All functions work [except camera] but there's no audio)
Reversing camera
SRS passenger side
Auto lights
High beam
Horn doesn't work but alarm does.
Steering column adjuster
Cruise control
Distronic and Speedtronic (intermittent)
A/C compressor (Fans are good)
I bought a new front SAM but it made no difference. I also opened the original SAM to see if it was corroded or if there were burn marks but it was clean. Other modules are complaining about CAN errors so I'm wondering about wiring damages. The front passenger seat has been leaned back as the battery was replaced (does the SAM need resetting?) as it drains power quickly and cranks slowly. The replacement battery is an AGM type which I don't think the ML's alternator can fully charge as it only charges to 13.7V. There was also about a centimeter of water in the bottom of the battery compartment and the carpets were damp. I suspect a leak from the sunroof but I'm not sure.
Any help is much appreciated. VIN# 4JGBB22EX8A368386
P.S. I do have a small metal connector with a frayed cable under the passenger seat but I can't figure out how to disconnect it (it has tiny push locks on both sides but I can't push them in) nor do I know its function.
Related problems TPMS, Compass not found along with other installed modules.

Last edited by dwwaddell; 04-21-2022 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Add detail
Old 04-07-2022 | 01:17 PM

ML 320 CDI 2008 JTNB11HK3J3024970
No answer for you but other considerations, first I have seen references to resetting battery info when replacing battery with a different manufacturer or amperage. I do not know the correct procedure. Also if you do not have a code reader than I believe you will not find the correct remedy. I have a cheap code reader($30) that helped me diagnose a faulty sensor that put mine into limp mode and clear the code. There are better readers that will go deeper into the diagnostics and can clear more codes. I'm hoping someone with this same year and model as we both have can recommend which one we need. Not knowing how old the battery is in my new to me ML320 I have looked at the recommended battery replacements in 2 stores and neither has the extra wire that I guess is a battery management system or something that could affect other operations of the vehicle. The battery in mine is a genuine MB branded one with an entra wire going somewhere and I need the same answers you do for when I replace it so I will keep monitoring this list. Goodluck
Old 04-07-2022 | 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rossny
No answer for you but other considerations, first I have seen references to resetting battery info when replacing battery with a different manufacturer or amperage. I do not know the correct procedure. Also if you do not have a code reader than I believe you will not find the correct remedy. I have a cheap code reader($30) that helped me diagnose a faulty sensor that put mine into limp mode and clear the code. There are better readers that will go deeper into the diagnostics and can clear more codes. I'm hoping someone with this same year and model as we both have can recommend which one we need. Not knowing how old the battery is in my new to me ML320 I have looked at the recommended battery replacements in 2 stores and neither has the extra wire that I guess is a battery management system or something that could affect other operations of the vehicle. The battery in mine is a genuine MB branded one with an extra wire going somewhere and I need the same answers you do for when I replace it so I will keep monitoring this list. Goodluck
I do have a good scanner but I also have an MB Star Diagnostic C6 coming.
Old 04-07-2022 | 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Is this where the damage was? If so, it is damage by rodents.

What is that black hose?

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 04-07-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2022 | 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Is this where the damage was? If so, it is damage by rodents.

What is that black hose?

It's strange that you thought it was rodents as I had put it down to leprechauns riding on unicorns; you know what they're like, right?
It's the cable that pulled out of the ferrule that should hold it therefore exposing the shield (where your red arrow points to the little silvery wires so loved by leprechauns) but also allowing the internal cables possibly to chafe against the connector and shorting to ground.
SERIOUSLY, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO ADD, PLEASE RESTRAIN YOURSELF.

Last edited by dwwaddell; 04-08-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2022 | 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You still have not indicated where the damage was. Forget it now and I will not post again because of your comedic attitude.
The following users liked this post:
rapidoxidation (05-04-2022)
Old 05-15-2022 | 01:09 PM

As I started taking apart the driver's seat to get to the Central Gateway, I found about 6" of water in the well:

Some of it I could drain but the rest (several gallons) I removed with a Wet Vac: