M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 ABS Harness Connector repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 ABS Harness Connector repair

Hi - I recently had some new tires put on my 2011 ML350 and about a month afterwards started getting some random ABS dash lights appearing and sometimes switching off.

After some research, I started looking at the ABS cables might need replacing as that appears to be a common issue. I like to start simple. I purchased an iCarsoft i980 scanner to try and isolate further, which I was able to. It indicated to check the left rear ABS cable. So I pulled the wheel and found the the ABS cable had broken on the harness side of the connector. Its likely the wheel place didn't secure the wire properly and it may have been pinched.

Soooo...my question is more around repair than replacement. Can the ABS wiring have splice repairs done satisfactorily and safely without screwing up readings? The break is about 1" from the connector, so will have to find a suitable connector and do a splice of some sort. Is there anyone else here who has done this?

-Thanks
Karl
Old 10-05-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
Your talking about a break in the lead between the connector at the inner fender and where the sensor goes into the hub?
(Is one piece)

Since these are very failure prone and not terribly expensive, I doubt you'll find anyone who's attempted splicing one together.
Ordinary flexing from the suspension travel gets them into trouble over time, and they are the most common root cause for ABS disablement.
Guidance from MB is to replace all four corners when one is troublesome, in wet climates such as South Florida and Puerto Rico.

See
B085DBM4M3 B085DBM4M3
on amazon, $32 for set of 4 (Prime) if you don't feel inclined to pay for OEM part.