M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Airmatic - several parts already replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2022 | 03:11 AM

ML350
Airmatic - several parts already replaced

Hi All,

Currently my car is sitting with the front right fully compressed with the front left not far off completely sagged. The compressor runs and tries to pump it up but it doesn't seem to raise at all. The rears are sitting happy at the correct height.

Some history:
- front left bag was replaced 3 months ago
- front right bag was leaking and replaced 2 days ago
- compressor was replaced yesterday. Car height was raised and lowered with no issues
- car worked for a day before the airmatic malfunction light came on. The front right drooped slightly (1 inch lower than the front left) when I arrived home. Then after jacking the car up and then back down, the front is right is flat while the front left now sits very low (1 inch higher than the front right). The compressor constantly runs but no height is gained (switches off after it gets hot)
- soap spray used and no leaks found on the lines or bags or compressor
- soap sprayed on the valve block but no signs of leaks (difficult to see the whole block)
- I tried scanning for codes by my OBD tool didn't pick up any codes (not a STAR tool)

Do you have any suggestions or ideas for further diagnostics?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2022 | 04:48 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by MBTommy
Hi All,

Currently my car is sitting with the front right fully compressed with the front left not far off completely sagged. The compressor runs and tries to pump it up but it doesn't seem to raise at all. The rears are sitting happy at the correct height.

Some history:
- front left bag was replaced 3 months ago
- front right bag was leaking and replaced 2 days ago
- compressor was replaced yesterday. Car height was raised and lowered with no issues
- car worked for a day before the airmatic malfunction light came on. The front right drooped slightly (1 inch lower than the front left) when I arrived home. Then after jacking the car up and then back down, the front is right is flat while the front left now sits very low (1 inch higher than the front right). The compressor constantly runs but no height is gained (switches off after it gets hot)
- soap spray used and no leaks found on the lines or bags or compressor
- soap sprayed on the valve block but no signs of leaks (difficult to see the whole block)
- I tried scanning for codes by my OBD tool didn't pick up any codes (not a STAR tool)

Do you have any suggestions or ideas for further diagnostics?

Thanks in advance
It sure sounds like you have a leak somewhere, or maybe the valve block is malfunctioning and not directing air to the RF since it sounds like the height sensor is reporting the corner is low and the compressor is attempting to fill the shock. Maybe disconnect the air line from the top of the shock and see if air is actually making it to the shock? If so, you must have a leak in the shock somewhere, if not, I'd suspect the valve block or maybe a blockage in the line.
Old 11-11-2022 | 08:26 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by EWT
It sure sounds like you have a leak somewhere, or maybe the valve block is malfunctioning and not directing air to the RF since it sounds like the height sensor is reporting the corner is low and the compressor is attempting to fill the shock. Maybe disconnect the air line from the top of the shock and see if air is actually making it to the shock? If so, you must have a leak in the shock somewhere, if not, I'd suspect the valve block or maybe a blockage in the line.
Good idea, I'll try it out and get back to you. Thanks
Old 11-14-2022 | 03:37 AM

ML350
Thanks for the suggestion. I found no air coming from the valve above the front right strut so I checked the compressor and found air was coming out but it felt a bit weak to me. I put the old one back in just to test it, and it inflated. Found a small leak from the valve at the strut so I tighten it up and everything is working again. Seems like the maxspeeding compressor was no good.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-14-2022 | 01:54 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Glad you got it figured out. I'm permanently fixing mine by moving from an airmatic GL to a non-airmatic ML. It isn't as bad as some people would have you believe, but it does have the potential for issues. I'm currently waiting on yet another front shock for my GL from Arnott. The airmatic does ride better, but I'm looking forward to never waking up to a vehicle sagging at one corner again.
Old 11-15-2022 | 12:37 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by EWT
Glad you got it figured out. I'm permanently fixing mine by moving from an airmatic GL to a non-airmatic ML. It isn't as bad as some people would have you believe, but it does have the potential for issues. I'm currently waiting on yet another front shock for my GL from Arnott. The airmatic does ride better, but I'm looking forward to never waking up to a vehicle sagging at one corner again.
I got a quote from MB today for 4 new shocks and bags just for some excitement. $11,200 AUD just for parts and they wants the old ones. Arnotts sound pretty good even if you have to send em back a couple of times.. I'm over airmatic, they've caused nothing but issues for me