M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Display engine temp by default

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2022 | 06:50 AM

ML500 2005
Display engine temp by default

Hello,

2005 ML500 W164 UK car.

Is it possible to display the engine temp by default on the dash pod at start-up without having to scroll through the menus?

I'm asking, as recently I had an over heating issue and the first I knew of it was when the warning appeared in the dash pod screen saying stop, engine temp over 130C followed seconds latter by plumes of steam coming from a burst radiator.

I would have thought that a warning message would have appeared a bit sooner than the 130C stop the car message, the owners manual does say that temperatures of 120C are OK though?

Luckily we were in the IKEA car park so no great drama's apart from the £330 bill to get recovered home.

I tracked the over heating down to the fan not coming on, again with all the electronics I'm surprised there was warning or error displayed. After some ODB scanning, checking of voltages & PWM investigation the fan now works. I didn't actually do anything in particular to fix the fan, I just noticed while I was trouble shooting that it started working again, I can only put it down to a dodgy connection between the harness and the fan at the connectors which I cleaned out and poked around with during the trouble shooting?

Just a thought, what's involved in replacing the current pre facelift dash pod dials an screen with a facelift set as the facelift set has an engine temperature gauge?

Thanks

Last edited by Ianmway; 11-16-2022 at 07:53 AM.