M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Glow plug problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2022 | 11:19 AM

ML280 CDI
Glow plug problem

Hi Each
I have a problem with the glow plug circuit on my 2008 ML280CDI. When I turn on the ignition, regardless of the ambient temperature (it has been -10c here this week) the glow plug light comes on for less that a second before going out. I have checked with a circuit tester on a glow plug and the feed to the plug is of the same duration. I have changed all the plugs and the controller with new units, I have even replaced the oil temperature sensor which is in the glow plug circuit, all to no avail. I still get the same outcome.
Is this a problem or is this normal? If I wait a few seconds after the light before turning the key the car starts normally.
TIA
Old 12-14-2022 | 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 ML350 Bluetec
What temperature does your car think it is? Sounds like it thinks things are at least room temperature. A good scanner should be able to accurately answer the question, then you can work towards finding the offending part (temp sensor is my guess).
Old 12-15-2022 | 03:29 AM

ML280 CDI
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
What temperature does your car think it is? Sounds like it thinks things are at least room temperature. A good scanner should be able to accurately answer the question, then you can work towards finding the offending part (temp sensor is my guess).
As stated in my original post I have replaced the temperature sensor with a new one and it has made no difference. I have scanned the car with an OBD reader and there are no error codes.
Old 12-15-2022 | 12:54 PM

2010 ML 350 Bluetec 4MATIC
Is the oil temp sensor the only temp sensor in the circuit? or is the ambient sensor involved? or coolant sensor?

I think these sensors also provide the dashboard data, so if your dash temps are reading normally for coolant and ambient, i think that mean those sensors are reading correctly. I could be wrong though. maybe an ECU issue of some kind?

or a ground issue? I've seen someone have a ground issue related to the glow plug circuit, loose ground solved all the problems.