M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Headlights Acting like Night during the day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2022 | 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI

I know this has been discussed, but there is so much good and bad information mixed in the thread I am trying to just a get some straightforward questions answered.
2008 GL320 US Model, BiXenon factory lights, No mods to the lights, no mods to the programming

Lights stay on when in "A" and shut off normally when shut off car and open driver's door.
Green indicator on, and if stalk is forward bights and blue indicator come on (All Normal for night but happening during the day.
Switch to "O" and Green indicator is off. (I think lights were still on, maybe in daytime running light mode, or in "You forgot to turn your lights on" mode.)

Radio screen is in normal "Day" mode" (Some part of the Car knows it is not dark out)

Auto wipers work fine (Rain sensor is not dead, as I know a bad rain sensor often stops auto lights form working)

No errors on dash

So, where is the headlight day/night sensor located?
Is it in the Rain Sensor?
Is it on the dash (front Center wort - This sis called the solar sensor in some descriptions)
Is it in the rear view mirror (separate form rain senso (As some say).

Which functions use which sensor, so I can look to see if something else is not working right beside the headlights.

1) Headlights
2) Radio Display
3) Rain Sensor/Auto wipers (Maybe)
4) HVAC system
5) Other mysterious MB stuff

Thanks.

(Cross posted from X164 since the electronics are mostly the same)
Old 12-20-2022 | 02:30 AM

2007 ML500
Originally Posted by N_Jay
I know this has been discussed, but there is so much good and bad information mixed in the thread I am trying to just a get some straightforward questions answered.
2008 GL320 US Model, BiXenon factory lights, No mods to the lights, no mods to the programming

Lights stay on when in "A" and shut off normally when shut off car and open driver's door.
Green indicator on, and if stalk is forward bights and blue indicator come on (All Normal for night but happening during the day.
Switch to "O" and Green indicator is off. (I think lights were still on, maybe in daytime running light mode, or in "You forgot to turn your lights on" mode.)

Radio screen is in normal "Day" mode" (Some part of the Car knows it is not dark out)

Auto wipers work fine (Rain sensor is not dead, as I know a bad rain sensor often stops auto lights form working)

No errors on dash

So, where is the headlight day/night sensor located?
Is it in the Rain Sensor?
Is it on the dash (front Center wort - This sis called the solar sensor in some descriptions)
Is it in the rear view mirror (separate form rain senso (As some say).

Which functions use which sensor, so I can look to see if something else is not working right beside the headlights.

1) Headlights
2) Radio Display
3) Rain Sensor/Auto wipers (Maybe)
4) HVAC system
5) Other mysterious MB stuff

Thanks.

(Cross posted from X164 since the electronics are mostly the same)
If you've scanned for codes and none have shown up, you may have the headlight constantly on via dashboard settings. This video should shed some 'light'

Old 12-20-2022 | 08:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Fiiz
If you've scanned for codes and none have shown up, you may have the headlight constantly on via dashboard settings. This video should shed some 'light'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdKW8pamDvs
I'll check but doubt it. Have not been playing with the settings, however the car was at the dealer recently, so "Anything" is possible.