M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Can I change air filters without removing the full enclosure assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
Can I change air filters without removing the full enclosure assembly?

I know the conventional method is to remove the upper firewall, then undo sensors and loosen clamps to remove the plenum, then undo and remove the air filter boxes, swap out the filters, and go back the way you came. I think I saw a video showing that it was possible to just undo the air boxes from the sides and slide the old filters out and new ones in. Will that work?
Old 05-23-2023, 06:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ML320 W164 OM642 722.902
Originally Posted by RhythmMachine
I know the conventional method is to remove the upper firewall, then undo sensors and loosen clamps to remove the plenum, then undo and remove the air filter boxes, swap out the filters, and go back the way you came. I think I saw a video showing that it was possible to just undo the air boxes from the sides and slide the old filters out and new ones in. Will that work?
If your hand structure is small ( few muscles and small profile), you can squeeze in your hands inside. This is how I did it but not recommended. I gained some cuts on my backhand because I jammed my hand inside tight space between the air filter. Four bolts on each box by the way. If you have 1/4” ratchet and some small torx bit, you might be able to pull it off. I will take a pic when Ihave time of the tools I used to get into that small gap.

The time saving by doing the above is 10minutes as compared to original method of removing the box. Not worth the trouble. But the answer to your question is YES, it is possible.

Last edited by DLB_Adelaide; 05-23-2023 at 06:49 AM.