M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Brake Booster Recall ESP failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2023 | 04:16 PM

2010 c300 4matic sport
Brake Booster Recall ESP failure

Just brought my ML350 Bluetec in for the Brake Booster recall work. When I picked the vehicle up I was advised of my ESP unit throwing a code and the dealer said the issue was the ESP unit itself. I didn't have any issues before bringing it in for the recall work. Has this been reported before? I tried searching with a mixed bag of results, I believe the brake booster and the ESP are associated with one another. Is there maybe something I can do to resolve the issue without replacing a ESP? Benz quoted me at $2000 for the repair.

Old 10-10-2023 | 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by gr1m86
Just brought my ML350 Bluetec in for the Brake Booster recall work. When I picked the vehicle up I was advised of my ESP unit throwing a code and the dealer said the issue was the ESP unit itself. I didn't have any issues before bringing it in for the recall work. Has this been reported before? I tried searching with a mixed bag of results, I believe the brake booster and the ESP are associated with one another. Is there maybe something I can do to resolve the issue without replacing a ESP? Benz quoted me at $2000 for the repair.
They messed something up and better fix it!!!!!!

I took my sons C320 in for the sunroof recall. When the car was given back to me, the power seats no longer worked.
The dealer then claimed that the car was given to them like that, ………. I call BS.

Service Advisor swore up and down that he drove the car in the bay like this with the seats not working.

I truly had to make a total a$$ out of myself and threaten them before they took the car back inside to have a look at the issue.
They brought it back and everything worked again, “Oh yeah, we did reset something”. No apology, no offer for a free oil change or anything.

I truly hate the MB Dealership and will not go there until I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

Good luck, I hope they will take care of you.

Last edited by S70Houston; 10-10-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2023 | 03:49 PM

ML350 bluetec and Mini Countryman S All4
What code is it showing, I have read that some codes it has are related to different components.

Old 10-12-2023 | 04:12 PM

2010 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by MudFoots
What code is it showing, I have read that some codes it has are related to different components.
Well I just got back from the dealer, it was throwing a code for BAS solenoid valve "5897", This is located in the brake booster. Turns out it was a broken wire when they tightened down the booster to brake master. I had to go there with my scan tool and was ready to show them. The service manager tried telling me I was wrong this morning but turns out it was they who made a mistake. Im just happy it got resolved and they were willing to give it another look.

From now on if I have to get any recall work done im carrying my scan tool with me to pick up the vehicle upon completion.
Old 10-13-2023 | 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I just got back from the dealer, it was throwing a code for BAS solenoid valve "5897", This is located in the brake booster. Turns out it was a broken wire when they tightened down the booster to brake master. I had to go there with my scan tool and was ready to show them. The service manager tried telling me I was wrong this morning but turns out it was they who made a mistake. Im just happy it got resolved and they were willing to give it another look.

From now on if I have to get any recall work done im carrying my scan tool with me to pick up the vehicle upon completion.
What did I tell you?????!!!!!

MB Dealers are the worst. Mechanic Staff is not very well trained (at least not to my standards with the slogan “the best or nothing”) and never willing to admit a mistake without having to really push for it.

Glad you got it resolved.
Old 04-22-2024 | 01:06 PM

2010 GL350
Same issue. Any tips?

Same issue for me. GL350 that I brought to the dealer for the brake booster recall. After a few miles, it showed "ABS, ESP Unavailable". At first the warning was intermittent then it stuck--just before a planned road trip. Uggh. Now the check engine light is on but no more message about the ABS failure.

I brought it to the dealer assuming they would want to fix their mistake. Instead they charged me a $350 diagnostic fee. I am sure they are going to claim something like the ABS module just failed coincidentally at the same time.

I used car scanner to look for error codes and the most relevant one looks like P1A3B(00). I can't find much info on this.

Any tips or suggestions? How can I fight back when the dealer makes up some diagnosis that is not connected to the recall work? I normally go to a different private mechanic but I thought I should go back to the dealer. That was a mistake.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2024 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Lover_2017
Same issue for me. GL350 that I brought to the dealer for the brake booster recall. After a few miles, it showed "ABS, ESP Unavailable". At first the warning was intermittent then it stuck--just before a planned road trip. Uggh. Now the check engine light is on but no more message about the ABS failure.

I brought it to the dealer assuming they would want to fix their mistake. Instead they charged me a $350 diagnostic fee. I am sure they are going to claim something like the ABS module just failed coincidentally at the same time.

I used car scanner to look for error codes and the most relevant one looks like P1A3B(00). I can't find much info on this.

Any tips or suggestions? How can I fight back when the dealer makes up some diagnosis that is not connected to the recall work? I normally go to a different private mechanic but I thought I should go back to the dealer. That was a mistake.

Thanks!
As already mentioned below, MB Dealers (at least in my area) are totally unreliable and my cars NEVER go there unless absolutely necessary. I feel for you and wish you best of luck in resolving the issue.

I am debating if I will ever own another MB for these exact reasons, as customer service truly sucks!

Old 04-22-2024 | 01:42 PM

2010 GL350
Same here. The only reason I took it this time was for a manufacturer's recall.

Similarly, the Bluetec emissions recall was a total disaster. The car went into limp mode on the drive home and the exhaust had a horrible rattle. At least they fixed it that time

Anyone know what P1A3B is?