M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Noise & vibration related to tires, but not tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 ML350
Noise & vibration related to tires, but not tires

We just bought a low mileage 2011 ML350 that was well taken care of. The previous owner replaced the tires and brakes within the last year and it runs and drives well. It's not perfect, it needs cleaning, a few bulbs are out and the power steering whines but what's been driving me crazy is there is a noise along with a slight vibration above 20 MPH. The noise does not change with speed like a tire or wheel bearing. It's constant at any speed but it will change slightly over bumps on the road and it goes away on newly paved roads. When i stick my head out the window, the tires just sound like tires no matter the road. Yesterday i used a soft rubber mallet and started banging around. A lot of the plastic makes noise but not the metallic sound I'm hearing in the car. I thought i found it when i banged on the lower control arms
Found a heat deflector that made a similar noise so i tweaked it and it stopped. Took the car out for a drive but the noise is still there.

My theory is road vibration is transferring from the tires to something under the car when on regular pavement. New pavement is too smooth to cause the vibration but I'm just not sure what it is. It's like a pitch fork being struck and I'm the kind of person who hates weird noises. Any thoughts?
​​​​
​​​

Last edited by CheaperthanYota; 07-26-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by CheaperthanYota
We just bought a low mileage 2011 ML350 that was well taken care of. The previous owner replaced the tires and brakes within the last year and it runs and drives well. It's not perfect, it needs cleaning, a few bulbs are out and the power steering whines but what's been driving me crazy is there is a noise along with a slight vibration above 20 MPH. The noise does not change with speed like a tire or wheel bearing. It's constant at any speed but it will change slightly over bumps on the road and it goes away on newly paved roads. When i stick my head out the window, the tires just sound like tires no matter the road. Yesterday i used a soft rubber mallet and started banging around. A lot of the plastic makes noise but not the metallic sound I'm hearing in the car. I thought i found it when i banged on the lower control arms
Found a heat deflector that made a similar noise so i tweaked it and it stopped. Took the car out for a drive but the noise is still there.

My theory is road vibration is transferring from the tires to something under the car when on regular pavement. New pavement is too smooth to cause the vibration but I'm just not sure what it is. It's like a pitch fork being struck and I'm the kind of person who hates weird noises. Any thoughts?
​​​​
​​​
Sway bar links? Control Arm bushings? Something is making metal to metal contact

Also check your strut springs- make sure they are not cracked. The springs on these cars are known to crack/break.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:04 AM

2011 ML350
Originally Posted by imtheking
Sway bar links? Control Arm bushings? Something is making metal to metal contact

Also check your strut springs- make sure they are not cracked. The springs on these cars are known to crack/break.
I couldn't find any metal to metal contact but I'll double check. Springs are a good guess. I'll look into that. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by CheaperthanYota
I couldn't find any metal to metal contact but I'll double check. Springs are a good guess. I'll look into that. Thank you.
All your suspension components needs to be checked out. Something is worn or loose.

I forgot, also check out your engine mounts. You can test by putting the car in drive and having someone stand in the front to see if the engine is raising up and down as you step on the gas

On my Lexus, the sway bar links were nice and tight. No movement when I tried to move them around with my hand.

It wasn't until I took them off that I realized they are worn. The bushings were slighty ripped and you can hear a slight knocking noise when moving the ball joint around with my finger.

None of this was noticeable until I actually removed the links.

Last edited by imtheking; 07-26-2024 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joshinator99 (07-26-2024)
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

2011 ML350
Originally Posted by imtheking
All your suspension components needs to be checked out. Something is worn or loose.

I forgot, also check out your engine mounts. You can test by putting the car in drive and having someone stand in the front to see if the engine is raising up and down as you step on the gas

On my Lexus, the sway bar links were nice and tight. No movement when I tried to move them around with my hand.

It wasn't until I took them off that I realized they are worn. The bushings were slighty ripped and you can hear a slight knocking noise when moving the ball joint around with my finger.

None of this was noticeable until I actually removed the links.
Thanks. I'll check it all out. Hopefully i find something because it's driving me crazy.

Where is a safe place to raise the car without doing damage?