M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Well gents...........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Well gents...........

l had an opportunity to see the new 2012 M-Class at the unveiling at the Victoria Star dealership in Kitchener Ontario, Canada.............Here are my comments...
Pros.............
1. Wonderful interior......
2. Well positioned navigation screen.....
3. Finally the power seat controls are on the doors AKA..German style....
4. Wonderful seating..........
5. The mapping on the navi looks crisp and clear..............
6. The steering wheel is wonderful..............
Cons.............
1. The tailpipes not being exposed....makes this vehicle look very soft....AKA the Lexus RX..........
2. The over-all GLK look of the rear..............
3. The tail-lights do not suit this vehicle....it must be seen in person to understand....
4. The "frown look" front end....don't like it............
5. Over-all, very blah......on the exterior.....I have to be honest guys..l was not impressed with the exterior....
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
wow, you are the authority on ml's

Has anyone had more than you on here? I have yet to see it in person. I have one on reserve.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Reaction to new ML

Originally Posted by C-rod
l had an opportunity to see the new 2012 M-Class at the unveiling at the Victoria Star dealership in Kitchener Ontario, Canada
Have not yeat seen it in person - my dealer's should be here in about 10 days, with diesel a week later. From what I have seen online and from the publicity photos:
- Interior does look great and MUCH improved
- Hate the concealed tailpipes, too. Like it's trying to be luxury or an electric
- Exterior is pretty blah, but not exactly objectionable. No worse than current model, but no better.

I think I will wait for the AMG styling package. The more aggressive front vents, wheels and simpler rear valance help a lot, I believe.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:57 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Thumbs up I agree Greg...........

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Have not yeat seen it in person - my dealer's should be here in about 10 days, with diesel a week later. From what I have seen online and from the publicity photos:
- Interior does look great and MUCH improved
- Hate the concealed tailpipes, too. Like it's trying to be luxury or an electric
- Exterior is pretty blah, but not exactly objectionable. No worse than current model, but no better.

I think I will wait for the AMG styling package. The more aggressive front vents, wheels and simpler rear valance help a lot, I believe.
I would hold out for that package as well................The vehicle is far too soft and needs those items to add a bit of "zing" to it.......
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugo
I would hold out for that package as well................The vehicle is far too soft and needs those items to add a bit of "zing" to it.......
I can't see how you think the 12ML is "soft" if you loved the previous one. The 12ML isn't rugged looking but, to me, it looks much more imposing and masculine compared to the previous gens. To each his own.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
i like the front bumper cap better with the AMG package, but can't wait so am hoping for a good deal on a 2 year lease, then likely get as AMG exterior and Sport interior then. I am going to change the rims on this car anyway. Have to spruce it up a little!!

Last edited by jtorrebl; 09-22-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
I'm assuming...........

Originally Posted by 50cent
I can't see how you think the 12ML is "soft" if you loved the previous one. The 12ML isn't rugged looking but, to me, it looks much more imposing and masculine compared to the previous gens. To each his own.
you have seen the vehicle in person ???? and if you haven't , what are you basing your opinion on.....pictures ????
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
I also had the opportunity to see the new ML a few weeks ago in Orland Park (they had a vehicle available for service training). I would echo all of the comments to date - much better interior, both from a quality and style perspective. However, I also was not enthusiastic about the exterior. It just looks (to me) too bloated from the side like it needs that character line with chrome from the prior version to break it up better. The rear end is also so bland and the hidden tail pipes don't help.

The ML I saw was white with the 20 inch wheel package, so maybe it will look better in a darker color. It was parked next to a 2011 ML and it was one of the instances where the new car looks different but not better (in my opinion). For me it is a little like the new Audi A8 vs the prior version A8, the new A8 looks different but not better and not more modern than the prior version (even if it is better all around under the skin).

I am sure this will sell very well, particular to women, given its "right size", interior and amenities - but it just does not inspire. I think the X5 is much more attractive even though it is getting up there in years.

I really hope the new 2013 GL, with the longer body, works better than the ML. From the spy photos, it looks very similar so far (which would not be good in my opinion).

Looks is a very personal thing so I have no issue with those who think the new ML is better looking than the prior version.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With regards to the exterior looks, at least Mercedes gave plenty of canvas for the tuners like Brabus, Kleeman, Lorinser, etc. Some vehicles end up looking worse with tuner modifications, but there is room for improvement here.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 AM

Yugo
you have seen the vehicle in person ???? and if you haven't , what are you basing your opinion on.....pictures ????
Did you really just say that??????????????????????????? LOL

Sounds like you are compensating for loving a vehicle known to be mostly driven by many women. Before you get up in arms again, I personally really like the previous gen. But it is a bit feminine.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Test Drove new ML

Conducted a short test drive of the new ML at my local dealer (Hendrick in Charlotte). As a previous owner of both a W163 and X164, I have got to say the 166 is the best of the lot. In fact, it is the first that "feels" like it was built in Europe, if you know what I mean. Very solid feel, and of course to C Rod's point the seat controls are finally in the right spot. Impressions:

Excellent interior - well finished, well placed controls, except for MB giving up on their classic locations for cruise and turn signals - they have relented (too bad). The interior wood is excellent in terms of coverage, but there is a bit too much metal trim for my liking - it is a bit bright, and I can envision some reflection issues cropping up. Screen location is finally correct!

Ride - short highway and in-town test suggests a very comfortable ride with MB sedan characteristics - like I said earlier, best SUV they've done so far.

Exterior, well, it is not the most alluring, I would agree. But, I will reserve judgement until I see one with running boards, which may improve the look. As for the AMG exterior, I am not so sure it will be available on the 350's. The next ML to launch (after the Blue Efficiency gas, and Bluetec diesel) will be the 550, which does have the AMG styling. So, like the GL 450/550, I think MB will be using exterior styling to differentiate, and it may not be available on the 350s. We will see.

I configured mine with the sales person (have yet to pull the trigger), and while you can order the Sport Interior, you cannot get any AMG exterior styling. There are some good special order options though, including interior load management, nice leather and colors, etc.

I will take the plunge in the spring, when Bixenons and iPad mounts will be available.

Hope you find this interesting.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Hmmm....that was quite funny....

Originally Posted by 50cent
Did you really just say that??????????????????????????? LOL

Sounds like you are compensating for loving a vehicle known to be mostly driven by many women. Before you get up in arms again, I personally really like the previous gen. But it is a bit feminine.
feminine you say....you better hurry up and get off the computer , your mother is calling you for dinner.............
Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM

SL500
I spent the day with a 2012 at the dealer in Maine. A couple of points. First, there is no low range switch for the 4matic. My previous models had that feature. Second, there is no rear A/C control, unless you order the rear heated seats. Third, the demo had the panoramic roof. The shade is flimsy mesh, and unless you're really into having the glass over the rear seat, I would skip this option. Other than that, this vehicle is FABULOUS!!! MB should have produced this quality in the first and second iterations. The steering is completely effortless, the gas engine is plenty powerful, the Harman Kardon stereo is unreal, the comfort of the seats is incredible, and I'd buy 2 if I could. Do yourselves a favor and order the car (unless you buy one from stock) with the rear seat entertainment pre wiring package. It's $240, and it's the cheapest way to get the memory feature in the front passenger seat and 4 way lumbar. Id upload the pics if I knew how. Any questions??
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM

SL500
Take a look:
Attached Thumbnails Well gents...........-img_0011.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0019.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0015.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0017.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0016.jpg  

Well gents...........-img_0018.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 PM

SL500
More:
Attached Thumbnails Well gents...........-img_0012.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0013.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0014.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0020.jpg   Well gents...........-img_0022.jpg  

Well gents...........-img_0023.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vetfed
I spent the day with a 2012 at the dealer in Maine. A couple of points. First, there is no low range switch for the 4matic. My previous models had that feature.
The future On&Off Road Package will have the two-speed transfer case and differential lock and other features:

"The ON&OFFROAD package for the new M-Class uses six different driving modes to optimise driving dynamics and handling safety by providing the optimum drive control needed to cope with the wide spectrum of operating conditions encountered both on and off the road. The added benefit compared to the Off-Road Pro Engineering package offered previously is plain to see: whereas before there was one optimum driving mode for the road and one for off-road, drivers now have the choice of an automatic mode, as well as two specially programmed off-road and three on-road modes.

The specific driving modes for all-wheel drive resolve a conflict of objectives that has previously hampered further development of 4MATIC and the 4ETS electronic traction system as well as ESP® and ASR. To take an example: on off-road tracks, it is important that the control systems respond very gently due to the low friction coefficients, but this makes a sporty setup virtually impossible. Conversely, a sporty basic setup impairs performance abilities in off-road terrain. In the past, the engineers always succeeded in finding excellent compromises which worked brilliantly under all conditions and continue to do so. The new ON&OFFROAD package with its specific driving modes, however, enables driving dynamics and handling safety to be optimised almost as far as is physically possible under all operating conditions by maximising networking between the individual control systems.

The system is operated using a rotary control on the centre console, which adapts the AIRMATIC settings and the drivetrain to suit the specific requirements. The six driving modes in detail:

■ Automatic - covers the wide operating spectrum of everyday driving

■ Offroad 1 - light terrain, tracks, driving over fields

■ Offroad 2 - challenging off-road terrain with climbs

■ Winter - for driving in wintry conditions on roads affected by freezing rain, snow or ice, or with snow chains

■ Sport - for serious driving along winding roads

■ Trailer - optimises start-off, manoeuvring and braking characteristics when towing a trailer

Despite so many options, the driver is never in any doubt about mode selection: the setting is made intuitively, while the driving mode selected is visualised in the multifunction display as well as in virtually photo-realistic quality on the screen of the COMAND system. If the driver selects the Winter mode, for instance, the display shows the M-Class in snow. The Sport setting displays a racetrack with red-and-white curbs, while images of off-road terrain with different profiles appear for Offroad 1 and 2. The display is interactive too: steering input and spring travel correspond to the actual values, while the graphics include additional information on the steering, gradient and tilt angles, the AIRMATIC level, the pre-selected speed for Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR), as well as the selected drivetrain settings including reduction gear and differential lock.

Irrespective of which basic mode is set, the reduction gear, differential lock, DSR and the AIRMATIC system's level control can all be adjusted individually. As with the basic settings for the ON&OFFROAD package, it is not possible for the driver to make mistakes here either. Illogical settings, which would have a negative impact on handling stability, safety or traction, are precluded. If case of doubt, the system will revert to automatic mode.

In terms of "hardware", the ON&OFFROAD package comprises an underguard, a two-stage transfer case with reduction gear, an inter-axle differential lock and enhanced AIRMATIC functionality that allows a maximum ground clearance of 285 millimetres and a fording depth of 600 millimetres."
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Not visually appealing to me at all, to be honest.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 PM

2011 ML550
I am curious to anyone who has driven the W166 if they have any feedback on the powertrain? Any comparison to the former w164 350 powertrain in terms of power/smoothness/responsiveness.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
That rear end.....it looks like a minivan from the rear 3/4 view....the W163 suffered from the same styling fault.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:15 PM

2003 MERCEDES C230, 2008 ML 350
Originally Posted by twodivers
Conducted a short test drive of the new ML at my local dealer (Hendrick in Charlotte). As a previous owner of both a W163 and X164, I have got to say the 166 is the best of the lot. In fact, it is the first that "feels" like it was built in Europe, if you know what I mean. Very solid feel, and of course to C Rod's point the seat controls are finally in the right spot. Impressions:

Excellent interior - well finished, well placed controls, except for MB giving up on their classic locations for cruise and turn signals - they have relented (too bad). The interior wood is excellent in terms of coverage, but there is a bit too much metal trim for my liking - it is a bit bright, and I can envision some reflection issues cropping up. Screen location is finally correct!

Ride - short highway and in-town test suggests a very comfortable ride with MB sedan characteristics - like I said earlier, best SUV they've done so far.

Exterior, well, it is not the most alluring, I would agree. But, I will reserve judgement until I see one with running boards, which may improve the look. As for the AMG exterior, I am not so sure it will be available on the 350's. The next ML to launch (after the Blue Efficiency gas, and Bluetec diesel) will be the 550, which does have the AMG styling. So, like the GL 450/550, I think MB will be using exterior styling to differentiate, and it may not be available on the 350s. We will see.

I configured mine with the sales person (have yet to pull the trigger), and while you can order the Sport Interior, you cannot get any AMG exterior styling. There are some good special order options though, including interior load management, nice leather and colors, etc.

I will take the plunge in the spring, when Bixenons and iPad mounts will be available.

Hope you find this interesting.
What is the Sport interior option?
In the MB web it is no mention of it when "Build it"
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Saw the new ML today. Was very unimpressed with the exterior. Looks short and stubby. Dont like the hidden exhausts and dont like the front end. Interior seems pretty nice and the new center consol I like lots. Of all the 4 ML's I have owned both W163 and W164 I would rate the W166 as the least attractive. I did see something I really liked and that is the new CLS now available with 4 Matic. May be my ML replacement down the road.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 AM

Yugo
feminine you say....you better hurry up and get off the computer , your mother is calling you for dinner.............
Sorry that I hurt your feelings so much that you started writing incoherently.

At least you didn't go nuts with the question marks again.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM

'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The future On&Off Road Package will have the two-speed transfer case and differential lock and other features:

"The ON&OFFROAD package for the new M-Class uses six different driving modes to optimise driving dynamics and handling safety by providing the optimum drive control needed to cope with the wide spectrum of operating conditions encountered both on and off the road. The added benefit compared to the Off-Road Pro Engineering package offered previously is plain to see: whereas before there was one optimum driving mode for the road and one for off-road, drivers now have the choice of an automatic mode, as well as two specially programmed off-road and three on-road modes.
."
I'm curious where you found this info. I might consider a 550 if this package becomes available in the states.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The new one does look a lot more masculine. ML's aren't the most "masculine" cars to begin with, but the new one at least looks a little more rugged in place of the more-so feminine styling of the previous one. My beefs with the new one are the rather bland front end, and the frumpy/dumpy and possibly not well executed rear lights (will have to see them for a while to know how that plays out). Also, it does appear rather "stubby" in some pics.

The new ML looks like more like a Sedan-gone-SUV, rather than a Minivan-gone-SUV to me. It has the statelier demeanor of a Sedan, while the previous ML just looked too far-feminine IMO, which negates the whole purpose of a "Truck/SUV" to me, but that's a whole other story (considering the majority demographic of SUV drivers, especially).
Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM

Yugo
Originally Posted by K-A
The new one does look a lot more masculine. ML's aren't the most "masculine" cars to begin with, but the new one at least looks a little more rugged in place of the more-so feminine styling of the previous one. My beefs with the new one are the rather bland front end, and the frumpy/dumpy and possibly not well executed rear lights (will have to see them for a while to know how that plays out). Also, it does appear rather "stubby" in some pics.

The new ML looks like more like a Sedan-gone-SUV, rather than a Minivan-gone-SUV to me. It has the statelier demeanor of a Sedan, while the previous ML just looked too far-feminine IMO, which negates the whole purpose of a "Truck/SUV" to me, but that's a whole other story (considering the majority demographic of SUV drivers, especially).
Well said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well gents...........