M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Get mine on Friday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Get mine on Friday

Newbe here. First ever MB. Decided to get the ML350 after looking at the VW Tow-rag. First time ever in a Benz. Very impressed. Ordered a Black / Almond BlueTec with the P-2 package. I wanted the upgraded sound system. Also has a hitch, the lane and blind spot warning system. (not the active one) Wood steering wheel, running boards, the memory for the passenger and lumbar pkg, I think that's all.

Just loved how it drove. Now I can't wait to get it. Anything I need to look out for? Oh, and got 3 years of maintenance too.

Is the upgraded sound system worth it?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
In addition to the Logic 7 sound the P2 has KEYLESS GO. If you didn't care about that, you will once you've lived with it for a while. I've got the BMW version and it's so convenient compared to getting a key out every time you go to the car.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Newbe here. First ever MB. Decided to get the ML350 after looking at the VW Tow-rag. First time ever in a Benz. Very impressed. Ordered a Black / Almond BlueTec with the P-2 package. I wanted the upgraded sound system. Also has a hitch, the lane and blind spot warning system. (not the active one) Wood steering wheel, running boards, the memory for the passenger and lumbar pkg, I think that's all.

Just loved how it drove. Now I can't wait to get it. Anything I need to look out for? Oh, and got 3 years of maintenance too.

The new HK Audio systems are really good compared to the old generation (like the one in my S class) More power and better sound. Not a waste of money IMO

Good choice on getting the BlueTec!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
Congratulations on the new Benz. I am on my 2nd ML (had an 06, presently have an 09) and will be getting a third ML in 2013. The HK sound system is worth it. I also have Xenon's and love the adaptive headlights. Live in a rural area with lots of windy roads. Provide lots of light at night where street lights are few. I had the P2 on my first ML and when I got the second I had to have it.

Post you thoughts comments after you have had it for a few weeks.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM

'08 M3 Cabrio
I'm also curious to know what people (who have spent significant time behind the wheel of the new ML) think of the HK sound system. I listened to FM radio on it when test driving and it sounds OK, not great. Bass was a bit boomy/muddy, but it played loud.

I daily drive a 2008 M3 with the BMW individual sound system, and I think the BMW system is a fair bit cleaner sounding. Might have something to do with BMW putting subwoofers under the front two seats as opposed to in the trunk.

Sound is really important to me as I lease and dont want to have to modify, so this is definitely playing into my decision for my next SUV.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
I also have a 2012 A6 with Band & Olfsen so am used to high quality sound. The HK system is clear, but boomy. I should probably turn down the bass to more equally compare the quality of the highs. The B&O system is pretty conservative on the Bass side but much clearer overaLL. Just get the P2 package that has other goodies as well to make you lease more enjoyable. I never heard the stock ML system.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 PM

c63
Does anyone know what the little square is on the door handle next to the keyhole? Im not talking about they keyless go square, there is another one all the way to the right of the door handle.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Joeparkshang
Does anyone know what the little square is on the door handle next to the keyhole? Im not talking about they keyless go square, there is another one all the way to the right of the door handle.
I'm guessing thats the receiver for the KEYLESS GO, but that's just a guess. Not sure if that system is infrared or RF - anyone?

Edit: Thanks to Wikipedia for info on KEYLESS GO. It is RF, so I'm not sure if that square is related to the system, but I still suspect it is.
The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered either by pulling the handle or touching the handle an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID the PASE module unlocks the vehicle.

The hardware blocks of a Keyless Entry / Go Electronic control unit ECU are based on its functionality:

transmitting low frequency LF signals via the 125 kHz power amplifier block
receiving radio frequency RF signals (> 300 MHz) from the built-in ISM receiver block
crypting and decrypting all relevant data signals (security)
communicating relevant interface signals with other electronic control units
microcontroller
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Page from 2012 Manual.pdf (86.9 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-26-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
Congrats on the new ride! I continue to be impressed with the 2012.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Hold the tip of the key 1" from the square on the driver's handle and press and hold UNLOCK; all windows will lower, sunroof will open, and if you have climate comfort seats, the driver's seat will turn on. Hold LOCK and the reverse will happen.

If you have KEYLESS GO, you can just hold your finger on the lock "square" and windows/sunroof will close. To open the windows without the key is tricky - you need to hit the lock "square", then (quickly) grab the handle and pull it out about 1/2" and hold. The windows will lower/sunroof open, etc.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 10-26-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 AM

c63
Okay ya I guess receiver makes the most sense. Now do you need to periodically put your key in the ignition to charge it with keyless go when it runs low on battery or do you just replace its batteries? How does that work?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 AM

2019 C63S
Okay ya I guess receiver makes the most sense. Now do you need to periodically put your key in the ignition to charge it with keyless go when it runs low on battery or do you just replace its batteries? How does that work?
You replace the batteries. No charging function for KG Keys
Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Well I didn't get it because it never made it to the other dealer. No big deal. What we did is ordered what we wanted instead of getting what was on hand. We now "should" get it sometime in December. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We ordered a Capri Blue diesel with Package 2. We also are getting the wood steering wheel, lane tracking package, running boards, trailer hitch, rear prewiring for the memory seats. Was thinking about nixing the lane tracking package and getting the driver assistance package.

Any thoughts? I have about 10 days to decide.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Was thinking about nixing the lane tracking package and getting the driver assistance package.

Any thoughts? I have about 10 days to decide.
Personally, I passed on most of the technological driving nannies. More stuff to go wrong that you don't really need. Also, they don't always work in a way that avoids irritating false warnings, etc. Personal choice, though.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I find the lane keeping assist to be useless, but the blind spot assist is invaluable. I would not own a Benz without it, especially a SUV. For under $1,000, it's a no-brainer.

DISTRONIC PLUS is amazing but overpriced. If you commute in heavy traffic (especially stop-and-go), it is truly great.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Blind spot is useful but airflow overkill warning on mercedes . Audi has LEDs that turn on dimly when car close then flash bright if turn signal is on in that direction. Much more real world useful. Mercedes beeps when this happens. I guess I'm just used to our audi. I wOuldnt te a car without this. Lane tracking in the Benz is accurate need to play with softer settings but the vibration alert is so weak I didn't know it was working the first couple times I drove the car. Our Audi had a stronger vibration that was actually noticeable.
This feature is nice to have for peace of mind
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Well I called yesterday and changed from the lane tracking package to the drivers assistance package. No I'm counting the day's till it arrives. :-)
Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM

W212 E350
Here is a link to the H/K site. The new logic 7 system is why I went for P2. I have a 2010 ML BLUETEC now and honestly, the stock audio is the worst I have ever heard.

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...technical.aspx