Option Code 888 - Rear Storage Compartment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
Its only searchable if you give consent to search. I'm in law enforcement and I told my kids just say "i do not consent to any searches". I tell them to say it twice. Also, if you get stopped and are asked to exit the vehicle. Open the door, put the windows up, exit the vehicle, close and lock the door and put the key in your pocket.

Cops DO NOT have the right to just search your vehicle. They need a reason that they will need to defend if it is challenged. As a veteran I gave my service to defend the Constitution. That includes the 4th amendment.

But the best way not to be in that situation is to just follow the law. Now if I could only get my son to understand that. :-)
Great response!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Katiesdad7 is correct concerning routine traffic stops. I too was in law enforcement with the Federal Government for 26 years until I retired in 1995. Although I did not conduct "routine" traffic stops, we often collaborated with state and local authorities in making stops of moving autos and trucks. We ALWAYS searched the vehicles, including trunks and never asked permission, nor did we always have a warrant. The difference was that the people we stopped were targets, ie, subjects who were or had been under surveillance and there was not only probable cause but often plain view evidence of a crime. For example, drugs or guns on the seats or marijuana smoke streaming out of the car when the subject was taken out.

But this is not what we are talking about. The people Katiesdad7 was referring to were not breaking the law or perpetrators of a crime when the car was stopped nor was there evidence of a crime past, present or future in plain view (or probable cause to believe such). As was said, in "routine" cases the officer has no right to search person, home or vehicle without warrant. But if the driver is arrested on a drug charge they can search the car for drugs, if arrested for counterfeiting they can search for plates and ink, if arrested on a weapons charge they can search for guns, if arrested for bank robbery they can search for money, etc., etc. I believe the Supreme Court has modified vehicle searches since I retired to limit the scope of the search, but I'm not really sure of what those provisions contain. Even though the search rules may be more restrictive and limited in scope than when I was on board, if it is a legal search to start with and incident to arrest, anything they find in the course of that search, even if unrelated or beyond the scope of the search, can be used against the driver and/or passengers. I'm pretty sure that has not changed.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Some very interesting views thanks fellows.

I am one who has never been in the position as a searcher or searchee, and never expect to be in the future due to my polite smile. I was not intending to divert the topic in this line, but appreciate the comments from the lawkeepers.

No I merely use that space under the seats for some items that "may come in handy" one day. Items you would like accessible to yourself, but out of sight of others when you open the tailgate.

I currently have some tools (which are normally only required when the rear compartment is fully loaded hence the tyre compartment is inaccessible); my bushfire protection kit (blankets, clothing, gloves and goggles); and also a litre of water.

Everybody may have different needs, but you always seem to say "now where can I put this?"
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
The same key that locks the glove compartment locks the rear cargo floor(its the same lock cylinder- comes with two lock cylinders instead of one with the keys on the assembly line with the 888 option). The X166 is the same way but different option #.