M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 vs RX350 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
ML350 vs RX350 ?

Newbie. The last Benz I owned was an '84 Galenda. My 3rd and last. Great vehicle, when it wasn't being repaired. A friend's wife had a late 90's ML that incurred a long service record. She now drives an RX. Needless to say I've been hesitant to buy another.

My wife has had two RX's that she was really loved and from a reliability standpoint have been excellent. Her current 2005 RX330 has 170k and has never had anything other than scheduled maint. However, after test drives the ML definitely seems quieter, smoother, and better handling than the current RX. She also likes the rotary nav control better and screen layouts than the RX's nav and trackstick.

I assume some on here have compared them as we are now doing (I searched but found no posts). Thoughts? Is Mercedes reliability and service up to Lexus standards now (or at least very close)? Anything about either vehicle you prefer over the other?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM

2008 E63, 2010 SRX Turbo, 2010 Escalade EXT
I'm not sure that you can make an apples to apples comparison between the RX and the ML. I've had 4 RX's and found them to be nearly perfectly reliable but also fairly dull and car-like to drive. Not much fun.

I think you're also comparing two vehicles quite different in price. While it's impossible to do a "Build Your Own" with identical options for each, if you load them both up to the max I think you'll find the RX stickers around $50K and the ML loaded up will be around $70K more or less.

The ML is in a different class so if the $$$ is not an issue, get the ML.

Just my .02
Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks Smiley. The pricing of the ones we're looking at are fairly comparable. The Lexus' do include a few pseudo minor things the ML's don't like headlamp washers (a tough option to give up in MN winter when you've gotten used to it) and fog lights, neither of which are even avail for the ML right now. Lexus also has the wide/side view cameras which are nice (I have them on my LX570). I'm still working on an option by option comparison.

Agree that the RX is rather dull compared to the ML.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM

2008 E63, 2010 SRX Turbo, 2010 Escalade EXT
I'm also a bit **** about the remote start feature that you can't get on the ML but most Lexus dealers will install.

Probably handy in MN during the winter. Just as important in AZ during the summer.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM

2012 ML350
You might have clued me in to another issue. I was thinking that the KEYLESS-GO included remote start. Ouch. We use remote start all the time in the winter and occasionally in the summer.

Another dink my wife brought up tonight was air cooled seats. So, I can't remote start an ML to pre-cool it and it doesn't have air cooled seats, so I get to hop in a hot car with warm seats and get all wet and sweaty everywhere I touch the seat. Amazing how the definition of luxury (or even basic necessity) changes as new stuff comes out.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
You might have clued me in to another issue. I was thinking that the KEYLESS-GO included remote start. Ouch. We use remote start all the time in the winter and occasionally in the summer.

Another dink my wife brought up tonight was air cooled seats. So, I can't remote start an ML to pre-cool it and it doesn't have air cooled seats, so I get to hop in a hot car with warm seats and get all wet and sweaty everywhere I touch the seat. Amazing how the definition of luxury (or even basic necessity) changes as new stuff comes out.
Where are you all wet and sweaty at ? Might want to add your location to your profile.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by TundraRoads

If you step up to leather seats you get cooling. Gotta pay to play
Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 AM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
If you step up to leather seats you get cooling. Gotta pay to play
Another new piece of info. The only mention I could find about that after reading your post is a rather contradictory footnote in the Dealer Ordering Guide (slide 7). Thanks for the heads up. We'd actually wanted leather but everything coming down the pipeline is apparently MB-Tex and my wife didn't want to wait another several weeks/months for a custom order.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CLS 500
I picked up my GLE 350 4Matic about 2 weeks ago. My sister in law bought a brand new RX350 about 6 months ago and I was able to drive it recently. How they compare? Well RX350 drives like a last generation Toyota, because it is based on old Toyota chassis. GLE drives like a recent Mercedes, because it is a Mercedes not sharing with any less brand/class chassis.
"My priorities are #1. Safety and #2. Reliability"- I am very sure both car got/will get 5 stars rating from any crash test agencies. Both cars will/can be trouble free for many miles to come- if you are lucky (I had my Cayenne trouble free for 6 years, but constantly went back to dealer for T.S.B. on my Odyssey.)
I dropped my hard earned money on the first year Mercedes since I am prepared already- Get extension warranty (definitely negotiate for it), find a good, honest reliable independent shop, have good relationship with them. That will saves a lot money and headache down the road especially when you plan to keep your car a while.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-06-2019)