M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

M in the snow ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
M in the snow ?

Looking for feedback on how well the ML350 does in the snow and what you'd expect from a 2012 vs previous years. It appears that to get 'snow mode' requires the not yet avail off-road pkg. How well would you expect the 2012 to handle 6 - 12" on the road in MN without the pkg?

Related to this, I haven't found anything on skid/lateral control systems. Sales guy just says "yep, it's got it".

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML snow performance

Originally Posted by TundraRoads
Looking for feedback on how well the ML350 does in the snow and what you'd expect from a 2012 vs previous years. It appears that to get 'snow mode' requires the not yet avail off-road pkg. How well would you expect the 2012 to handle 6 - 12" on the road in MN without the pkg?

Related to this, I haven't found anything on skid/lateral control systems. Sales guy just says "yep, it's got it".
My old '06 ML does very well - take it skiing all the time. Proper snow tires are a must, of course.

The 2012 has Mercedes' ESP (Electronic Stability Program): "If ESP® detects that the vehicle is deviating from the direction desired by the driver, one or more wheels are braked to stabilize the vehicle. If necessary, the engine output is also modified to keep the vehicle on the desired course within physical limits. ESP® assists the driver when pulling away on wet or slippery roads. ESP® can also stabilize the vehicle during braking."

Also, for those who want to venture off surfaced roads, the ML 350 BlueTEC 4MATIC and ML 350 BlueEFFICIENCY 4MATIC models feature an extensive off-road specification as standard, which considerably enhances their capabilities when the going gets tough. Apart from 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive and the electronic traction control system 4ETS, this also includes an off-road button that activates a special off-road driving mode:

■To improve traction, the wheel slip thresholds and the shift points
of the 7G-TRONIC PLUS transmission are raised
■A flatter accelerator response curve enables more sensitive throttle control
■Off-road ABS ensures optimum braking characteristics, especially on loose surfaces

Start-off Assist and the HOLD function furthermore come to the driver's assistance when performing a hill start, while Downhill Speed Regulation, or DSR, enables the M-Class to automatically maintain the speed set with the cruise control lever on descents."

4ETS is the traction control system whcih is part of ESP. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD0ZDuoD6dY

There is also Electronic Brake Force distribution and a host of other technologies. And if you do get manage to get in an accident, the ML will protect you well.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks Greg. Is the BlueEfficiency the standard ML350 4matic currently available? Pretty much all the lit and sites I've seen list the two currently available models as ML350 4matic and ML350 4matic Bluetec. In other words, do all of the AWD's have the off-road button/capability?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, a lot of stuff to come up to speed on and my wife wants to make a decision this weekend (and no sales folks avail until Mon morn).

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2011, 10:16 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
snow

Tundra,
I'm in MN too and have a 2005 ML 500 and find it to be great in the snow.

It has gone everywhere in the snow and I just have Conti all season tires, not dedicated snow tires.

I'm sure the new ML will be just as good or better.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks Minnbobber. Puts my mind a bit more at ease

The weather was very cooperative with my shopping - snowing all day on warm roads makes for the exact snot slicky needed for new car eval fun. So, took an ML and RX out for some shifting and sliding. ML straight line stopping was excellent, much better than 2012 RX (though RX wasn't bad).

ML & RX handle lateral skids differently. If you hit the brakes and then turn the wheel the RX attempts to keep going straight. The ML attempts to turn but will generally not spin out. The RX requires much more effort to get in to a spin than the ML, but the ML still requires considerable effort. If you know to turn in to a spin then you are in good shape in the ML and likely have a bit more control over things than a driver in the RX. I think for a good driver the ML approach is better while a less experienced or less confident driver might prefer the RX.

Much the same if you turn the wheel sharply without braking. The ML will execute a controlled turn more so than the RX which will go straighter.

This was in a 2012 ML350 Bluetec. I assume the standard ML350 AWD (not sure if 'BlueEfficiency' or not) will handle the same.

Last edited by TundraRoads; 11-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Greg. Is the BlueEfficiency the standard ML350 4matic currently available? Pretty much all the lit and sites I've seen list the two currently available models as ML350 4matic and ML350 4matic Bluetec. In other words, do all of the AWD's have the off-road button/capability?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, a lot of stuff to come up to speed on and my wife wants to make a decision this weekend (and no sales folks avail until Mon morn).

Thanks,
BlueTEC is the turbo-diesel version with 455 lb ft of torque and much better mileage than gas. That's what I have on order. Off Road button is standard, but only the On&Off Road Package will have the 6 function control - due out in 6 months or so in the US. BlueEFFICIENCY is MB's term for their gas V6.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-20-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
BlueTECH is the turbo-diesel version with 455 lb ft of torque and much better mileage than gas. That's what I have on order. Off Road button is standard, but only the On&Off Road Package will have the 6 function control - due out in 6 months or so in the US.
Thanks Greg.

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Greg.
Here are pics of the two engines: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...gine-pics.html

This dealer ordering guide may be helpful to you. It is mostly still accurate, although the price on P02 has gone up and no longer incudes the conditioned cupholders.

http://thebenzman.files.wordpress.co...de-ml-2012.pdf