M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Reliability ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Reliability ?

The biggest question mark for us now is reliability. I put 230k on my Toyota Sequoia over 11 years with the only issue beyond routine maint being wheel bearings once. My wife put 140k on her RX330 over 7 years with nothing beyond routine. We've had similar experience with numerous other Lexus', Subaru's, and Nissan's since switching from primarily German cars (due to poor reliability). I'd appreciate any feedback on where MB is at on improving reliability and in particular what I might expect from a 2012 ML350.

Aside from missing some features the ML350 beats the RX350, but if that will come at the cost of considerably more maint (money and time spent taking it in) then it's not worth it to us.

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM

335i
I have no basis other than "life experience", but if you're planning on 100K+ miles, I'd say your odds are better with Toyota. Then again, I'd say that too against Subaru and Nissan. It's quite possible a MB will be trouble-free for 300K+, but that's true with any make. So, my guess is you have a better statistical chance of "trouble free" with Toyota but you have still a good chance with "trouble free" on a MB - just not as good as the Toyota.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
The biggest question mark for us now is reliability. I put 230k on my Toyota Sequoia over 11 years with the only issue beyond routine maint being wheel bearings once. My wife put 140k on her RX330 over 7 years with nothing beyond routine. We've had similar experience with numerous other Lexus', Subaru's, and Nissan's since switching from primarily German cars (due to poor reliability). I'd appreciate any feedback on where MB is at on improving reliability and in particular what I might expect from a 2012 ML350.

Aside from missing some features the ML350 beats the RX350, but if that will come at the cost of considerably more maint (money and time spent taking it in) then it's not worth it to us.

Thanks,
Straight from the dealer's mouth when I told him I had 295K miles on my 300D (door lock actuator vacuum seal in the unlock position is the only part that has failed), "you will be lucky to get 60K without some electrical system freaking out at you with this new ML..." "get the extended warranty the $4800 up front is cheap for 7/100K miles & There is a reason MB only gives you a 50K Warranty" "average service dept visit at this dealership is $1175"

So based on my calculations:
Figure about 6000 of vehicle cost for maintenance over 7 years.
For example, "special" rain sensing windscreen is going to run you $1100 + INSTALL! I go through at-least one of those per vehicle life.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
There is no reason to believe the ML will not be reliable. The powertrains are proven and there is no "new" tech in the ML that isn't already in other MB models. Having said that, basic maintenance is more expensive for a Benz. You should stick with Toyota if you want inexpensive routine service (oil changes).
Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks. I don't mind routine maint being a bit more expensive, what concerns me is having a car not be available or having to take it in more often, both of which are real PITAs. We often just don't have the time to deal with things like that. When my MiEV get's here at least we'll have another xportation option.

We did end up getting the ML. MB had some pretty good incentives for Lexus trade-ins and our dealer came up with enough other $'s for us to be comfortable taking the risk.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Benz's last long time it's just whenever something breaks out of warranty, you will get raped with expensive repair bills even at indy shops.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by KA8
Benz's last long time it's just whenever something breaks out of warranty, you will get raped with expensive repair bills even at indy shops.
Looks like I should get the extended warranty?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 PM

2011 ML550
After I read your post made me miss '07 MDX, I drove for 3 yrs with 60k mls without an issue, only regular maintenance.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by KA8
To the extent that this is offset by retaining more of its value, not a problem.

At some point though, whatever is better about a Benz over a Lexus isn't worth the irritation of having things go wrong more often or of the extra routine and non-routine maint costs. We'll see. Hopefully our switching back to German cars won't be just one car long.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Toyota/honda reliability and cheap maintenance costs can't be beat. This is the reason why before current vehicles I had two lexus(ES330 and SC400). Great cars reliably but at the same time incredibly boring. If all you care about is going from point A to point B toyota/honda is for you. Where german cars shine is with driving experience. Heck even my ML is more fun to drive than SC. Driving my ES was dangerous because ride was so boring that I'll get sleepy. I didn't understand this until I had two lexus. I'm not defending MB at the same time I'm not dissing toyota/honda's. They're just different with their own pros and cons. I've had my fair share of japanese cars including 2 Acura legend coupes, 240sx, lexus SC, 89 maxima, lexus ES, and 91 camry. I've had 4 benz's(1 w/o warranty) and they've been ok in terms of reliability. Let me just say warranty is a must on these vehicles. Same can be said about newer lexus vehicles. They're becoming more like germans with compromised reliability and increasing repair/maintenance costs.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:59 PM

2013 ML350BTC
Disclaimer: I've never owned a MB, don't know first hand, but I'm seriously looking at a purchase. Here's what I've heard and how I interpret it regarding MB reliability. First, I hear there are about 30 million lines of software code in the new M-class. That's a lot of software, especially considering there was about 0 lines of code in any manufacturer's vehicles in the early 1980's. At 30M lines of code, that's more than most other manufacturers. What does all that code do? It brings you the evolving technology in auto manufacturing (bleeding edge, so to speak). Also, MB engine performance is higher than most other manufacturers. For example, find a 3.0 liter diesel that puts out more HP/Torque than the BlueTec. What's this mean, MB pushes to the limit -- leading edge bleeds and that means maintenance. The more power you get (use) from a 3.0 liter motor, the quicker its gonna wear out.

On the other hand, I've also heard that MB spends nearly double on quality control as other manufacturers (VW, for example). MB finds and tosses more of the parts that have impurities, or don't otherwise meet specs. This could partly explain why parts are more expensive. I don't think its a coin toss when you decide to spend your money on a vehicle. To a large degree, you get what you pay for. I don't think MB is any more reliable than Toyota or Honda. Boring means they stick to what they know works (lasts) and wait till new technologies are adopted before incorporating them. Maybe there are Chevy/Toyota exceptions -- Volt and Prius/hybrid. But the problem with both these technologies, in my mind, indicate they are a LONG way from being reliable.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
My last ML's were 2002 and 2004 models. Absolutely no problems at all with the exception of rear shock replacements (under warranty) at 28,000 miles each. I put over 80,000 miles on each model. MB probably builds the finest diesel engine in the world. It remains to be seen how the rest of the rig will last, but I am impressed with the build quality overall.