M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

100 miles logged in my new ML350 Bluetec..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
100 miles logged in my new ML350 Bluetec..

Just picked up my 2012 ML350 Bluetec Monday night. My ML is black/black with the Premium 1 package, heated steering wheel, and tow package. I also got a special order option as outlined below. What follows are some of my rambling observations for anyone interested.

The drivetrain impresses me. Although I had misgivings about the Bluetec in light of the current diesel fuel pricing, I’m very happy with it in operation. The torquey six combined with the 7 speed auto combine to provide a seamless, smooth flow of power. As others have said, when standing outside the vehicle, you can tell it’s a diesel, but there is virtually no diesel clatter audible from the interior.

Handling is acceptable, but too soft for my preference. Perhaps the dynamic driving option will help with that. I have sportier cars when I’m on a serious driving mission, though, so this doesn’t bother me too much.

After I picked up the ML Monday night, it rained continuously the first two days, so I gave the wipers a good workout. The wipers did not park back in the neutral position after I turned off the vehicle. Anyone know if this is always the case? One other thing I noticed was that the backup camera utility was sometimes diminished by water droplets on the camera. Other than that, I like the back up camera, and plan to use the towing view as well. I think the bird’s eye view on the Infinitis, for example, is probably more useful, but I guess we should be happy we even have back up cameras, since VW, Audi, and Porsche customers have been doing without for months now.

I used to always manually snug up my seat belt, but I now like the car doing it for me. I don’t like the fact that the seatbelt chime begins IMMEDIATELY after starting the vehicle. In most vehicles there is a delay, and I am often getting myself situated after starting the motor before actually taking off. I definitely don’t like the nag coming on immediately. They could at least wait until the gear selector is activated.

Overall, the interior is just awesome. Plenty of storage, nice ergonomic layout, dual visors (why don’t ALL cars have these?). I got the standard MB Tex upholstery in black, and thanks to inspiration from this board, I special ordered the MB Tex stitched dash. The stitched dash is the crowning touch to the interior trim. It matches the stitching and feel of the seats and really ties the whole interior together. Once you’ve seen it, it makes the standard dash look rather plain. I highly recommend putting it on your order for any ML. I’ve included a rather crappy picture that doesn’t really do it justice. Also, the wood trim looks darker live than in the picture.

I love the electronics. Lots to play with for those that like gadgetry. I put in a CD and after playing with the controls realized I could rip it directly to the hard drive. Very nice. I also like the satellite weather and weather maps. I got the standard audio system, and while it’s certainly not going to impress audiophiles, I find it to be OK. I did turn down the bass level as it was a little boomy to my taste. There isn’t really an equalizer, just bass and treble controls, so not much fine tuning with the basic audio package. I’m just learning the presets, but it seems me that they’re grouped separately for AM radio, FM radio, and sat, I got used to having them all grouped together in my Audis, and miss that. I also find only 10 satellite presets to be way too limiting. I still haven’t figured out how to rapidly scroll through my presets from the steering wheel. I’ll figure that out soon enough, I’m sure, but if anyone has any tips I’m listening.

It’s always somewhat irritating that cruise control motions are not standardized across manufacturers, but the MB ones are logical, and I really like the short detent to accelerate or decelerate by 1 mph, and the longer by 5 mph. Very nicely done.

The navigation and voice recognition is somewhat disappointing, especially if you’re used to Google Nav on a high end Android phone, which is simply the best (and free) navigation going. I’m used to hitting one button on my phone and saying: “Navigate to 123 Oak Street, Chicago, Illinois” or “Navigate to airport”. Seems like I’m always struggling on the ML to get the navigation headed to where I want it to go.

Overall, I’m very happy with the ML; I think it will fit the mission I have mapped out for it. I also have to give credit to my local salesperson and dealership. They were outstanding: efficient, professional, and very easy to work with. My salesperson did a thorough delivery presentation and did not make me feel like an ML “peon” (he showed me his next delivery, a new SLS Roadster.
Attached Thumbnails 100 miles logged in my new ML350 Bluetec..-img_20111130_114750.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Congrats.

I happen to very much be comfortable with the NAV, and believe the COMMAND system is well worth the extra money.

I believe for a SUV the ride is perfect, a great balance of comfort and sporty characteristics. If I wanted a hard ride I would have gotten the BMW X5

I am 6'6 and the comfort in this SUV suprises me everytime a take seat in the throne that just happens to have a steering wheel infront of it.

Congrats on your ride, I just passed 1,000 a couple days ago, and I am still amazed at how proud I am to be an owner of such a fine SUV.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 PM
caf

car
Originally Posted by jweezy
Congrats.

I happen to very much be comfortable with the NAV, and believe the COMMAND system is well worth the extra money.

I believe for a SUV the ride is perfect, a great balance of comfort and sporty characteristics. If I wanted a hard ride I would have gotten the BMW X5

I am 6'6 and the comfort in this SUV suprises me everytime a take seat in the throne that just happens to have a steering wheel infront of it.

Congrats on your ride, I just passed 1,000 a couple days ago, and I am still amazed at how proud I am to be an owner of such a fine SUV.
Don't percieve my review as critical at all; I was just trying to be objective in including both the pros and cons. Overall, I love the ML so far. Even with only 100 miles on the clock, I was getting 24.7 mpg for suburban driving this afternoon. Pretty amazing for a mid sized SUV like luxury vehicle!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'd sell my soul to have the new ML's diesel in my Bluetec.I like its engine a lot but I do miss the zip that my BMW diesel had...smaller/lighter vehicle...265HP....425 ft lbs of torque.

Oh well,we live in an imperfect world.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
caf

car
Originally Posted by GreginNH
Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks! Still having a lot of fun learning the ins and outs of it. It's been very versatile so far--nice dinner out last night, picking up a Christmas tree today.