M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2012 ML350 vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
2012 ML350 vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee

Fully loaded Build on both that meets my criterion.

JGC - $40,045 in stock
ML350 - 64,005 mid March

Test drive for highway is essentially the same if you get the 18" rims on the JGC.

The front and rear suspension arms are the SAME! from what you can see just crouching behind and in front of the car.

I have a benz. I love the feel of a benz, but is it really worth $24,000 more? +++

BTW blind spot assist and dimming mirrors are IDENTICAL.
The HID Bi-xenon's are in stock and IDENTICAL supplier as BENZ.
Safety design and frame design is by the same engineers.
Both are put together in USA.

JGC rotors are $75 Pads $50
ML rotors are $165 Pads $110

Simple maintenance add up quick.

Just want to know your thoughts? Please refrain from the common answer: Its a Benz. I know. I get that. I just want to see what other things you can think of?

I like that Jeeps blend in, the benz is kinda showy, given the fact that poverty is rising in the US. IDK if I want to be bling'ed out everywhere I go?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
To me, comparing a jeep to the Benz is insulting.

I am not a high strung Benz guy.... I came from a dodge charger...the service sucks, very bad. Even though I had a good build of the charger, the simplistic things had issues, and instead of replacing a bad part with something better, they would replace it with the same crap - why because it made money.

I am telling you right now, if you have a Benz you will hate a Chrysler product. From experience.

Also, as a note jeep has a cheaper vehicle called the patriot, and it looks VERY similar to the jeep grand Cherokee and it looks exactly the same. Pay 40k while down the street a patriot has the same face as you.

Just because some parts are the same doesn't mean you can compare the vehicles like that, my charger had the Mercedes-Benz transmission, should I compare it to the E-class?

Not saying the Jeep is not a great car for the money, just don't exect Benz quailty of ownership.

I had my charger for 6 years, and every dealer sucked and a lot more money in service repairs.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugo
Just get the GC...

...if you can't appreciate the higher strength steel, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, etc etc.

Saying "from what you can see" is ridiculous to equate it all as being identical.

Sure, you pay some extra for the MB marque but the MB is higher quality in many areas, even in areas that you think are the same.

Having parts (ie lights) manufactured by the same co means nothing. Not saying quality is or isnt equal but you insinuated that it is.

There are definitely similarities, but I think you are stretching. Including cost, the GC is great for what it is and so is the MB.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
Originally Posted by 50cent
Just get the GC...

...if you can't appreciate the higher strength steel, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, higher quality ____, etc etc.

Saying "from what you can see" is ridiculous to equate it all as being identical.

Sure, you pay some extra for the MB marque but the MB is higher quality in many areas, even in areas that you think are the same.

Having parts (ie lights) manufactured by the same co means nothing. Not saying quality is or isnt equal but you insinuated that it is.

There are definitely similarities, but I think you are stretching. Including cost, the GC is great for what it is and so is the MB.
well put!

if $ is the issue, stick with the pos jgc
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
You can compare vehicles but you can't compare the service you get from a MB dealer.

A Toyota is not a Lexus....despite similar underpinnings...and they are the same company
If you plan on keeping it for two years or less...save the money and do the GC
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
I actually went through the same process prior to choosing my Benz. My wife is a loyal Jeep owner and is on her 4th Grand Cherokee Ltd. I considered a Grand Cherokee Overland for my purchase this year only because I did not like the 2011 ML350's ride and handling. I would not spend $65K on a fully loaded ML as I put too many miles on my cars and find myself trading way too often. There is very little consideration at trade in time for a car that has $15,000 in options.

Anyway, the Grand Cherokee is a great vehicle and probably has the the best 4x4 system out there (any important factor here in NH). The build quality this year is better than other versions, BUT it is nowhere near on par with that of Mercedes. I could have lived with the difference in build quality but had a hard time with the selection of power trains. The Hemi is horrible engine and the 6 cylinder Pennastar has some serious shortcomings.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a left over 2011 Overland anyway UNTIL I took a 2012 ML for a test ride. I made the decision to buy the ML before I got back to the dealership during the test ride. The quality factor is clearly evident when you drive the ML and when you observe the craftsmanship. Of course the Bluetec diesel was a HUGE factor as that engine will still be purring away when the Jeep's Hemi engine is sleeping in the junkyard!

In the final analysis, you should get what makes you happy. The last thing you want to do is purchase something at a price where YOU do not perceive value. If you can't easily justify or want to spend the additional money, then don't. Nobody on this forum can make that decision for you!

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
There was a previous discussion on this a while back.

I looked at the top of the line GC Overland Summit Edition. I really liked it. The functionality was great, nice towing set up, nice interior. In fact, I liked the stitched dash so much on the GC that I special ordered the stitched dash on the ML. I also liked the audio system ability to monitor the satellite radio for favorites songs and artists.

I did not like the handling of the GC. Very isolated. The ML handling is better, but still not as good as some of the competition.

I think you can get a pretty nicely P1 equipped ML for $55K sticker, if you avoid some of the expensive stuff. I realize that some of that stuff does come on the cheaper GC. On the other hand, MB support and service is excellent. Although my local Jeep dealer is pretty good, I wouldn't be driving a Mercedes loaner when the vehicle is in for service.

What really pushed me towards the ML was the drivetrain. I previously had a Jeep Commander with the hemi V8. Really nice vehicle, but a complete gas hog. It seemed like I was stopping at the filling station 3 times a week. Unfortunately, the V6, which has better economy, has inadequate power for me in daily driving and definitely for towing. The GC is currently available with a diesel in Europe, which will supposedly be available here late next year. If it was available right now I would have seriously considered getting a GC diesel instead.

While the service and parts are certainly cheaper for the Jeep, you have one less year of warranty, which could end up costing you far more in the event of a major problem.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I've had 3 GC and 3 ML's. I drive a lota miles and looked at the CG but the diesel ML made it an easy choice for me. The materials and stuff you can't see make a big difference like the suspension bits are forged aluminum on the ML and stamped steel on the GC.

BTW, the Overland I priced was $47K compared to 59K for a loaded ML that I"m getting this month. My guess is your looking at the ML550 for the comparison.

I think you've made up your mind and should get the GC if the difference is really 24K as you suggest.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
I got my ML for 46k, so the difference in cost wasn't the issue.

Think of it this way, Jeep has commericals attepting to prove the quality of the vehicle, the luxury also. Benz doesn't do that, why because its expected....Benz doesn't need to prove to you the ML is luxury, the service is great, because its expected.

Remember, Mercedes didn't borrow technology from Chrysler, Jeep got its frame from Benz, there are short cuts that are made to allow that SUV to start at 26k.

Plus, there are GCs every where you will also be exclusive with the ML.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM

2012 ML 350
HUH?

Maybe I'm confused, but I keep seeing these ML/GC comparisons and I don't get it. They are two different demographics. I doubt very highly a ML buyer would even look at a Jeep. I have had many German cars, and just got my second ML (2012), and I can tell you Jeep isn't on my radar. Nor is it on the radar of anyone shopping high end SUVs. As someone posted earlier, I'm not a Benz fanatic either. But a Jeep is a Jeep and a Mercedes is a Mercedes. And reality is, you are invisible in any Chrysler product.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
caf

car
Originally Posted by ursinebuilder
Maybe I'm confused, but I keep seeing these ML/GC comparisons and I don't get it. They are two different demographics. I doubt very highly a ML buyer would even look at a Jeep. I have had many German cars, and just got my second ML (2012), and I can tell you Jeep isn't on my radar. Nor is it on the radar of anyone shopping high end SUVs. As someone posted earlier, I'm not a Benz fanatic either. But a Jeep is a Jeep and a Mercedes is a Mercedes. And reality is, you are invisible in any Chrysler product.
I think quite a few people shop both; I know I did. I actually consider the M-B Star on the front to be a negative; I'd rather be invisible, I guess. I don't care what the label is, I just care about whether I like the vehicle.

I've owned only German cars (5 currently, gulp) over the last couple of decades because I like their handling, but when it comes to SUVs, the priorities are different and there are a lot of nice American products. If the vehicle meets your needs, why pay more? I have to say that the last Jeep product I bought, was extremely well put together and totally trouble free over the 3 years I owned it. I do think there is value in the well supported Mercedes service department, but in reality, almost all vehicles I've owned in the last 10 years have been free of any significant problems.

I'm very much enjoying my new ML350 Bluetec, but I don't think there's anything magical about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by ursinebuilder
the JGC has the same chasis and rear suspension as the ML350
the sytems are very similar

and i agree with the previous post. i want to be invisible. i dont want to be noticed when i or my wife is getting gas at night
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
To be honest...........

I'm a car guy.............I really do like the new Jeep GC and the new Dodge Durango...nice styling........Both of these vehicles have far more attractive looking qualities than the new M-Class, especially the back end....which in my opinion was a huge design mistake by Mercedes............
Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
The choice gets tougher SRT-8 of AMG?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM

2019 C63S
Originally Posted by MB Dave
The choice gets tougher SRT-8 of AMG?
ummm... AMG. If I'm going to pay for a high performance SUV, of the luxury variety, I want it to be exclusive. The SRT-8 is a run of the mill V8 shoved into a run of the mill wraper. I would much rather pay more money and get a hand built V8 with the flash and sparkle of the full M Class AMG body kit.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by lboudreau
ummm... AMG. If I'm going to pay for a high performance SUV, of the luxury variety, I want it to be exclusive. The SRT-8 is a run of the mill V8 shoved into a run of the mill wraper. I would much rather pay more money and get a hand built V8 with the flash and sparkle of the full M Class AMG body kit.
Man, you are rolling in some change...to spend 90K+ just to be exclusive.

I think I would probably go, with the SRT-8 here.

As much as I love the ML350, I couldn't imagine spending that much money on a mid-size SUV. That will probably lose value very quickly.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM

2019 C63S
Originally Posted by jweezy
Man, you are rolling in some change...to spend 90K+ just to be exclusive.

I think I would probably go, with the SRT-8 here.

As much as I love the ML350, I couldn't imagine spending that much money on a mid-size SUV. That will probably lose value very quickly.
No doubt it will depreciate quickly. And yes it is a lot of money. I don't know about you, but if I purchase a high performance SUV, I would want someone that knows how to build cars making it. Not to mention the service that you will receive from the Mercedes dealer versus the Chrysler dealer. Not everyone wants to drop tons of money on an exclusive ride... but if you have the money then why not? It's all about priorities.

The SRT-8 does not feel special at all. It also doesn't put a smile on my face. If I was looking for a fast ride that was cheap I'd just buy a used C55 or SL55, but I think the debate here is whether it's worth it to spend $90K on a fast SUV, which is a whole different ball game. With the AMG performance package you get 550 HP which to me makes the price worth it since you certainly don't get those types of performance numbers from Jeep.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the majority of the people on this forum will vouch for the ML63.

Last edited by lboudreau; 12-08-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
So is the ML its not Range Rover Lol

Just a heads up the JGC uses the same chassis as the W166 ML. The new 6.4 in the JGC is a gem of motor too. Stop being so eurocentric its 2012 the Americans can build a good car too!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by MB Dave
So is the ML its not Range Rover Lol

Just a heads up the JGC uses the same chassis as the W166 ML. The new 6.4 in the JGC is a gem of motor too. Stop being so eurocentric its 2012 the Americans can build a good car too!
Thank you!

The suspension arms and guts of the chasis are the same.

JGC:
MOTOR 3.6L: MEXICO (ehhhh is this the weak link?)
TRANSMISSION: GERMANY
ASSEMBLY: D-TROIT
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
don't know about you, but if I purchase a high performance SUV, I would want someone that knows how to build cars making it. Not to mention the service that you will receive from the Mercedes dealer versus the Chrysler dealer..
My friend has a SRT-10 and the Chrysler dealer doesn't know how to take care of a owner of a $50K+ vehicle.

Snobbery...Exclusivity??
Mercedes dealers know customer service and these days they work to be better than Lexus

Last edited by Waykool plantz; 12-08-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM

2019 C63S
Originally Posted by Waykool plantz
My friend has a SRT-10 and the Chrysler dealer doesn't know how to take care of a owner of a $50K+ vehicle.

Snobbery...Exclusivity??
Mercedes dealers know customer service and these days they work to be better than Lexus

At the end of the day I don't really care who shares what platform and if the car was built in the US or not. I just want the 3 pointed star, top notch build quality, and premium service from my dealer.

Next time you are in a Jeep dealer, ask the service department if they will pick up your ride at your home, perform any service that needs to be done, wash the exterior and clean the interior, then drive it back to your home.

When I pay for a Mercedes I expect a top notch experience not just a top notch car.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350

At the end of the day I don't really care who shares what platform and if the car was built in the US or not. I just want the 3 pointed star, top notch build quality, and premium service from my dealer.

Next time you are in a Jeep dealer, ask the service department if they will pick up your ride at your home, perform any service that needs to be done, wash the exterior and clean the interior, then drive it back to your home.

When I pay for a Mercedes I expect a top notch experience not just a top notch car.
Actually, I had a Dodge Charger before my ML350 - and any dealer I have ever went to wouldn't do that if I paid them. Washing your car? They would laugh in your face and give you the bucket.

Truthfully, I wouldnt even spend 40K on a SRT-8 Jeep, crap is ugly. Yet I wouldnt spend 90K on a ML63 (even though its sexy hot shiat).

I am fine with my ol' ML350, I drive slow anyway. Even in my charger that had almost 600hp to the rear wheels, I drove slow.

Paying a lot for a car doesn't give me satisfaction, my friends think because I have a Benz I am a snob or something. Its not like that, my ML was cheap, I think these days in this economy its more rewarding to pay less for something that gives you the same feeling. Still not saying the Jeep is a better choice, for 55K, I would buy another ML350....LOL
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM

04 sl 500, 07 ml 320 cdi
i remind you all that ML gets 5 stars of safety in euro ncap crash test, while GC get 4 stars and the rail of the driver seat is about to got broken and that means crash into the steering wheel... is that 24.000usd worth?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
caf

car
I really like my ML, but Dan Neill, probably the best American automotive journalist, gives a nice review to the SRT-8, for anyone that's interested:

http://online.wsj.com/video/2012-jee...C9E03F6F7.html

Full review:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Header_Rotator

Last edited by caf; 12-10-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Incredible, i did not realize i am not the only one comparing the 2 vehicles. i like the deisel in the ML as i have a 2011 bluetec and a 2008 GL320 cdi, but the JGC On a lease is probably $200 difference a month. The Jeep sales is poor, as i have been a MB owner since '89.

What are people paying for a ML bluetec with package 1, what they used to call P1 is now S01 i think.

The MF i think is. 00240 for the BT, and you can get a gas GL for 24 months for almost the same as a ML. I love my GL, but as it is a 2008, im now driving a MB out of warranty.

What are people paying for a 2012 MB ML350 BTC?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 ML350 vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee