Future hybrid ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Future hybrid ML

The E Class hybrids are being introduced. Europe gets a 4-cylinder diesel plus electric motor. The US gets the following, undoubtedly to follow shortly in the ML.

"The E400 Hybrid ... has a 3.5-liter V6 petrol engine with 306 PS (225 kW / 302 hp) and 370 Nm (273 lb-ft) of torque. It is backed up by the aforementioned electric motor which enables the sedan to return 24 mpg city / 31 mpg highway / 27 mpg combined (US). The model will be launched in the United States, before being offered in Japan and China.

Both models will debut at the North American International Auto Show, so stay tuned for full details." -- worldcarfans.com
-----------------------
Highlights of the E 400 HYBRID at a glance:

■ Compact, intelligent and modular hybrid concept: no changes to the body of the base vehicle are necessary

■ No compromises in terms of space, safety and comfort

■ Significant increase in comfort with start/stop operation; noiseless start, complete climatic comfort

■ Consumption combined (CAFE): 27 mpg

■ Part of the intelligent downsizing strategy of Mercedes-Benz: increase in the engine output of the E 400 HYBRID by some 20 kW and 250 Nm thanks to the electric motor

■ Impressive hybrid driving experience (start/stop function, regenerative braking, boost effect, purely electric motoring and "sailing" function)

[1] All consumption and performance figures are preliminary figures based on the Saloon model, as at December 2011
--Daimler
Attached Thumbnails Future hybrid ML-11c1348_17.jpg   Future hybrid ML-11c1349_01.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
I read about this today on Motortrend and on insideline.

I was hoping it would be more, I now MB worked very hard on this project and this is a milstone for them. However, I was hoping for higher numbers in terms of mpg mostly for the sedan. We then could subtract a specific percentage to try to get a percetive on the SUV(ML) hybrid. From the looks of it, that hybrid is rwd and getting obviously 27 mpg. The SUV in 4matic would not be worth the extra money with the mpg the diesels and the gas are getting currently.

I know only time will tell, I was very much hoping for closer to 35+ mpg hwy and even more in the city. Hoping the SUV would be slightly behind about 15% or so.

29 mpg with a 24 gallon tank would equal almost 700 miles in the city.

IF the average was lets say 32 or so = 768.

Even so its not enough to trade in for our current configuration.

Maybe in a couple years the MLs will be getting in the 40mpg range. that would be amazing - also a 3rd row seat with a larger cargo space.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
hybrid

thanks, very interesting.

Was it true that previous ML hybrid could only be leased, not purchased?
I wonder what will be the case on the new hybrid.

Any mention of battery type?? Touareg Hybrid uses NiMH battery which IMO is not nearly up to performance of next generation Li Ion batteries. Touareg battery has about 1.4 KW of energy storage (about 1/10 of Chevy Volt) which allows only about 1.5 miles of battery only travel. If ML could get even 5 miles out of battery only travel, that would help efficiency a lot.
Talk/rumor was that next MB hybrids would be plug ins with greater range so hope that is the case.

Touareg mpg ratings are (from memory) 21 city, 24 combined, 27 hwy with 333 supercharged gasser V6 and 47 HP electric motor for 380 total HP. It has wonderful 8 speed tranny .
ML Hybrid with 302 HP gasser would probably be similar mileage.

I was set to try a ML diesel after my ML 500 but sick of the huge diesel cost penalty here in MN--often $.90 more than premium.
Please post updates as you hear more. thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes hybrid

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
thanks, very interesting.

Was it true that previous ML hybrid could only be leased, not purchased?
I wonder what will be the case on the new hybrid.

Any mention of battery type?? Touareg Hybrid uses NiMH battery which IMO is not nearly up to performance of next generation Li Ion batteries. Touareg battery has about 1.4 KW of energy storage (about 1/10 of Chevy Volt) which allows only about 1.5 miles of battery only travel. If ML could get even 5 miles out of battery only travel, that would help efficiency a lot.
Talk/rumor was that next MB hybrids would be plug ins with greater range so hope that is the case.

Touareg mpg ratings are (from memory) 21 city, 24 combined, 27 hwy with 333 supercharged gasser V6 and 47 HP electric motor for 380 total HP. It has wonderful 8 speed tranny .
ML Hybrid with 302 HP gasser would probably be similar mileage.

I was set to try a ML diesel after my ML 500 but sick of the huge diesel cost penalty here in MN--often $.90 more than premium.
Please post updates as you hear more. thanks
As listed in the bullets above, preliminary combined mileage for the E400 is 27 mpg. ML versions would likely be a little less, but better than the stock gas version's 19 combined. Not much additional info before Detroit (mid-January) likely, but here is the rest of the press release:

"The V6-cylinder petrol engine in the E 400 HYBRID produces 225 kW (306 hp) and 370 Nm, and is also supplemented by a further 20 kW and 250 Nm from the electric motor. The consumption figures based on the American CAFE standard are: City 24 mpg, Highway 31 mpg, Combined 27 mpg.

With these two E-Class models we are now continuing our comprehensive hybrid offensive. The modular technology opens up a quick way for us to complement other model series with hybrid models", explains Professor Dr. Thomas Weber, Daimler Board Member for Group Research and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars Development. "With a clear focus on the different requirements of global markets, we are able to offer precisely the models which our customers want. The E-Class hybrids provide a clear reduction in consumption as well as a very impressive driving experience: they represent hybrid motoring at the premium level."

The new models do not require their passengers to have to compromise when it comes to space, however, whether in terms of the interior or the luggage compartment. And there are also additional benefits to the intelligent modular hybrid concept, which represents a comprehensive enhancement of the Mercedes-Benz S 400 HYBRID which has advanced to the position of clear market leader since 2009: no changes to the vehicle body are required, the hybrid module is both flexible and modular, thus allowing its use in other model series, and in addition to diesel and petrol variants there will also be right-hand drive variants. Meanwhile, the extra cost involved here is only moderate. The new hybrid models will be celebrating their world premiere at the Detroit Motor Show (14 to 22 January 2012) and will appear on the market over the course of the year. The E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID is initially planned to be launched on the European market, while the E 400 HYBRID will be made available on the American market first, followed by other countries such as Japan and China later."
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'll never again consider a vehicle not powered by a diesel.I *might* consider a diesel hybrid...particularly if it features 500+ ft lbs of torque like the M-B model that will soon appear in Europe.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Future ML hybrid

The E-Class hybrids were announced at by Mercedes-Benz at the 2012 NAIAS in Detroit this week. Only a matter of time (2014 model?) before the technology is in the ML, given the way Mercedes spreads powertrains across the range.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Good for the E-Class

Last edited by jweezy; 01-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Hybrid

Thanks for the updates.

This will be interesting as they say the price increase will be "moderate". The VW Touareg Hybrid upcharge seems excessive.
It also has Li ion battery so hopefully more storage capacity/ can travel farther than VW on battery only.
Battery resides under hood so doesn't take up space in rear/spare tire space.
VW hybrid boosts city mileage by 25% so hopefully this will be similar.

Where this would be great, like jweezy said, is in the E class---specifically the E wagon. With hybrid and 4matic and almost as much cargo space as ML, it would be a super combo IMO.
Bob
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
It is basically the powertrain from the S400 Hybrid, albeit with the updated 3.5L V6. Quite interesting to drive with the regen braking, etc.

The ML hybrid was only available on lease as the technology was co-developed and not meant to be sustainable. As you saw with the X6 hybrid (same tech as ML hybrid), it wasn't long for this world.