M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

COMAND Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
COMAND Question

For some reason I do not see the Copy MP3 Music Files option when using Music Register on my COMAND unit.

I am only able to import CD's using the REC to HDD feature.

Anyone have any luck transferring mp3's or music from SD card or USB?

I found this YouTube video where it appears the user is ripping music off of a SD card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fkk...3&feature=plcp

Below is a screenshot from the YouTube video.
Attached Thumbnails COMAND Question-screen-shot-2012-01-01-11.45.00-pm.jpg  

Last edited by T Class; 01-02-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I think that some models other than US models (Europe? Elsewhere?) can copy from SD cards (and do other things) but everything I've read indicates that the only way to get music into the hard drive of *my* car is with a music CD.Other models here could well be different,I don't know.

I did it that way....2,200 songs taking up about 9.8 GB of space.Took a *long* time.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by listerone
I think that some models other than US models (Europe? Elsewhere?) can copy from SD cards (and do other things) but everything I've read indicates that the only way to get music into the hard drive of *my* car is with a music CD.Other models here could well be different,I don't know.

I did it that way....2,200 songs taking up about 9.8 GB of space.Took a *long* time.
Is it possible to get MP3's from a USB drive to the MB hard-drive?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
Originally Posted by 300DTurbo
I don't think so. I soon realized you can only rip CDs from the disk drive to the hard drive, but no such luck with SD cards or USB drives.

I think MB is taking a conservative approach to avoid any liability for illegally downloaded music or whatever. Sadly, though, there is no easy way to take MP3s I bought on Amazon and put them on the hard drive.

The lawyers ruin everything. Again!

Since USB drives are pretty cheap, I've just left everything on there. You could of course burn your MP3s to an audio CD, then rip them, but that seems ridiculously time consuming and convoluted.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
I wanted to do so but couldn't see how it could be done.this topic has been discussed at some length and,IIRC,nobody could do it on my model or,IIRC,other (very) recent North American models.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by caf
I don't think so. I soon realized you can only rip CDs from the disk drive to the hard drive, but no such luck with SD cards or USB drives.

I think MB is taking a conservative approach to avoid any liability for illegally downloaded music or whatever. Sadly, though, there is no easy way to take MP3s I bought on Amazon and put them on the hard drive.

The lawyers ruin everything. Again!

Since USB drives are pretty cheap, I've just left everything on there. You could of course burn your MP3s to an audio CD, then rip them, but that seems ridiculously time consuming and convoluted.
I agree with everything you stated.

I don't have them on a USB myself I have them on a SD card. I just left them on there. I played as much as i could to do it about one month ago. Figured it just couldn't be done, overall I am happy with the Command system. I just wish it could do more...

I guess from Mercedes-Benz standpoint - no matter what you can't fully please a customer...they always want something not offered or maybe can't be done by law.

Playing from my SD card is fine, I just figured you should be able to do it through every imput source, CD, MP3 player, or USB.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by jweezy
I guess from Mercedes-Benz standpoint - no matter what you can't fully please a customer...they always want something not offered or maybe can't be done by law.
If there's a law involved it would have had to have been enacted after 2009.My '09 BMW had the ability to import MP3's directly onto the hard drive from a USB.I know...I did it....2,000+ songs...took about 20 minutes.(I had converted my CD collection into MP3's before buying the BMW).
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
My son...............

went into my itunes library and set up a file, then he downloaded the file to my SD card, then I downloaded the songs from the SD card to my hard drive...The hard drive only allowed 4G of space..I used up 3.2G with about 400 songs...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by C-rod
went into my itunes library and set up a file, then he downloaded the file to my SD card, then I downloaded the songs from the SD card to my hard drive...The hard drive only allowed 4G of space..I used up 3.2G with about 400 songs...
Is it due to the canadian version of the software?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
Is it due to the canadian version of the software?
Yeah, it's my understanding that in Canada and other markets you can load music from removeable media to the hard drive. Not in the U.S.. My guess is that the MB lawyers were more OK with people having downloaded music on removeable media than they were on the hard drive, which might be considered a permanent part of the vehicle.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
Originally Posted by caf
Yeah, it's my understanding that in Canada and other markets you can load music from removeable media to the hard drive. Not in the U.S.. My guess is that the MB lawyers were more OK with people having downloaded music on removeable media than they were on the hard drive, which might be considered a permanent part of the vehicle.
My (Canadian) 2010 C350 4matic restricts the downloads to music CD's only. Meanwhile, Its removable SD Flash can keep in memory several thousand songs which replaces the need for the Hard drive.