M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Hid kit- no errors w/ video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
Mine arrive yesterday, hope to have time to install them this weekend... will post pics when done!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Just placed an order for the 4300k, wish me luck...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM

2010 C300
Mine are 6000k - got one in tonight. Took a little while to figure out the removal/installation. But now that I figured it out, I expect the other side to take about 30 minutes max.

So far - no errors, looks great, and much brighter than stock. I mounted the ballast outside the headlight w/no issue. Now I'll be the idiot driving to work tomorrow in a $55k car and non-matching headlights.

Pictures will come.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Originally Posted by HoustonC230
Mine are 6000k - got one in tonight. Took a little while to figure out the removal/installation. But now that I figured it out, I expect the other side to take about 30 minutes max.

So far - no errors, looks great, and much brighter than stock. I mounted the ballast outside the headlight w/no issue. Now I'll be the idiot driving to work tomorrow in a $55k car and non-matching headlights.

Pictures will come.
Please post some pics.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
Haven't had much time lately to post but wanted to follow up on this topic. I did install the HIDs and love them. Cant go without them. This is a major upgrade from the crap halogens bulbs. I actually drove about 3 hours the other night from Washington DC to NY and had no problems. I installed the same way as the OP (Eugene). Used the existing bulb clips and inserted the ballast/warning cancelers in the existing housing. I'm using the 6000k bulbs. Thanks Eugene for the help with this.

Last edited by ML12NYC; 04-18-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by ML12NYC
Haven't had much time lately to post but wanted to follow up on this topic. I did install the HIDs and love them. Cant go without them. This is a major upgrade from the crap halogens bulbs. I actually drove about 3 hours over the other night from Wahsington DC to NY and had no problems. I installed the same way as the OP (Eugene). Used the existing bulb clips and inserted the ballast/warning cancelers in the existing housing. I'm using the 6000k bulbs. Thanks Eugene for the help with this.
Hi ML12NYC,
Great news that the HID kit working for you. I have 2 quick question if you dont mind answering:
1. How dod you get access to the headlight? Is it through the wheel well? I could see the flap on the whell well and page.115 in the manual says just to slide the flap and lift it. But my truck has a flap and also a plastic screw with flat haed. I didn't know how you took care of this screw? I had hard time to unscrewing it. So I had to cut that plastci screw thing to slide the flap.

2. I got access to the bulb,after turning counter clock wise at the housing, but unable to get it out of the black bulb holder thing. How did you do that? is it a counter clock twist or a pull or something else.
Thanks for your help
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
. How dod you get access to the headlight? Is it through the wheel well?
I went from inside the wheel well however I did not remove the plastic clip. I lift the flap to release from the tabs and then rotated the entire flap. Getting the flap back in place is a lot harder.

2. I got access to the bulb,after turning counter clock wise at the housing, but unable to get it out of the black bulb holder thing. How did you do that? is it a counter clock twist or a pull or something else.
Once you turn counter clockwise from the housing pull the entire bulb attached with the wiring out of the housing. You will see that the Halogen bulb is connected to 2 metal holder. 1 part is for the bulb itself and then other is attached to the black platic clip which is used to rotate the bulb into the housing. Pull the bulb along with it's attached metal fitting out of the metal and plastic clip. Once you have the bulb out you need to separate the metal holder that is attached to black plastic connection. You will need to reuse this metal holder in order to attach the HID bulb to bulb housing. You may need to bend the inside of metal holder slightly to fit the HID bulb in correctly.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM

2012 ML350
I went from inside the wheel well however I did not remove the plastic clip. I lift the flap to release from the tabs and then rotated the entire flap. Getting the flap back in place is a lot harder.

Once you turn counter clockwise from the housing pull the entire bulb attached with the wiring out of the housing. You will see that the Halogen bulb is connected to 2 metal holder. 1 part is for the bulb itself and then other is attached to the black platic clip which is used to rotate the bulb into the housing. Pull the bulb along with it's attached metal fitting out of the metal and plastic clip. Once you have the bulb out you need to separate the metal holder that is attached to black plastic connection. You will need to reuse this metal holder in order to attach the HID bulb to bulb housing. You may need to bend the inside of metal holder slightly to fit the HID bulb in correctly.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your quick and great reply.
Once you put the HID bulb in, where do you connect the two wires?( The cancellers and the ballasts connected to each together leaving only 2 flat end wires)?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
Those 2 wires are what brings power to the HIDs/Ballast/Warning cancelers. You plug the 2 wires into the oem black plastic connection (where the halogen bulbs was plugged in). I used electrical tape to keep the wires in place.

Also...keep in mind that the connections for the ballast/warning cancelers use a 2 pin connection. These pins bend easy and if don't slide the connections in straight they will bend. So if the HIDs do not turn on it is probably a bent pin.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM

2012 ML350
Those 2 wires are what brings power to the HIDs/Ballast/Warning cancelers. You plug the 2 wires into the oem black plastic connection (where the halogen bulbs was plugged in). I used electrical tape to keep the wires in place.

Also...keep in mind that the connections for the ballast/warning cancelers use a 2 pin connection. These pins bend easy and if don't slide the connections in straight they will bend. So if the HIDs do not turn on it is probably a bent pin.
Thanks again,
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 PM

2012 ML350
Hey Guys, got my hid kit and (4300 blubs) and love them. I've had my ML for 2 weeks and love it, got to post pics soon;
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
I purchased several weeks ago and finally had the time to install this weekend. I took pictures of the steps during the install on one side. I'll post in a bit once I get some time. I used some velcro to hold the blast from moving and had everything inside the headlight assembly. Everything is working well.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
Install Steps with Pictures

Attached is my simple steps with pictures of my install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ML 350 HID Install.pdf (231.6 KB, 2058 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
Just an update on my install. After a few days, my wife received the error on the headlight and it went out. The next day it was working fine. To make the long story short, one of my error/warning cancelers is faulty. But I can't seem to get the http://xenonhidconversionkit.com guys to respond via email or phone for the past few days. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM

2012 ML350
My passenger side blinks (3-5 time) every time i apply my brakes. I too have tried calling twice and left messages. I've email (3 times) in the last 3 weeks and still haven't received a reply.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by misra
Just an update on my install. After a few days, my wife received the error on the headlight and it went out. The next day it was working fine. To make the long story short, one of my error/warning cancelers is faulty. But I can't seem to get the http://xenonhidconversionkit.com guys to respond via email or phone for the past few days. I'll keep you posted.
Hi Misra,
Let me first assure you that its completely normal for that behavior in your ML350.
I got my HID installed by MB technician as I didn't want to take any chance with my new baby. I got the German kit which is little expensive than this kit. After 2 days of the installation my passenger side bulb went out. I got the error" Check head light" and I was really upset. I called the MB technician and they asked me to turn the car off and restart. Amazingly the lights worked fine.
I was told that this is a learning curve for the MB computer to adapt the new lights.
My lights never blink...never ever....
It turns on just like my halogen did.
Hope it helps.....
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 AM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
Turning on and off the car doesn't help with a faulty warning canceller. I've tried the canceller on both sides with each blast 5-6 times and it is a dud. I can't recommend ordering from xenonhidconversionkit.com when they do not reply to email or phone calls for days. I have Kensun hid kit in my other car and have asked about their support for Mercedes, they pointed me to some warning cancellers and their kit on Amazon. I'll post once I test them out.

GA350 - what brand is your German kit?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM

2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

When I started this thread, I noted no errors or melting issues. It's been about 8 months and I decided to take a look inside the headlamp assbly where I put the ballast and warning cancellers. I only noticed that the warning canceller's shape is slightly deformed. I assume the cheaper plastic construction of the warning cancellers cannot withstand the heat inside the headlamp assembly.

So I decided to place both the warning cancellers and ballasts outside the headlamp assembly. I didn't cut any holes through the rear headlamp cover. I forced the cover back on while the wires were running outside the bottom of the rear circular opening of the headlamp assembly. It's not a water tight deal now at the bottom of the opening but I would assume that water shouldnt enter through normal wet conditions since there is a large lip on the headlamp cover that somewhat overlaps that bottom of the circular opening, even though the hid kit wires are running through this small opening.

I hope this helps those who already installed this kit. I apologize for not taking any pictures at this time.

-Eugene
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by GA350
Hi Misra,
Let me first assure you that its completely normal for that behavior in your ML350.
I got my HID installed by MB technician as I didn't want to take any chance with my new baby. I got the German kit which is little expensive than this kit. After 2 days of the installation my passenger side bulb went out. I got the error" Check head light" and I was really upset. I called the MB technician and they asked me to turn the car off and restart. Amazingly the lights worked fine.
I was told that this is a learning curve for the MB computer to adapt the new lights.
My lights never blink...never ever....
It turns on just like my halogen did.
Hope it helps.....
So what kit did you get and how much was the kit and installation?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
So what kit did you get and how much was the kit and installation?
To be honest I know it's a German kit. The kit and installation was $450 for me . I think the price was right for me as I didn't want to mess with my car and also it was well worth my time I would have spent doing this myself
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
To be honest I know it's a German kit. The kit and installation was $450 for me . I think the price was right for me as I didn't want to mess with my car and also it was well worth my time I would have spent doing this myself
$450 sounds reasonable to me. I wonder if my dealer would do it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM

iu
Just curious, what does/would MBUSA say IRT warranty issues with the electrical system if you install the aftermarket HID kit?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
Do you know the brand? I'm now using Keysun that I bought from Amazon. It is better then the other recommended here and Keysun actual return emails and answer the phone.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 PM

2014 E350
HID kit - nothing but problems - please help

so i went to a reputable shop in long island, did a great job with a clean install.. but..

day one - right side blinks on start up, sometimes doesnt start up at all.. after a restart it seems to work.

day two - brought it back to the shop - after some tinkering, both sides are going nuts, definately not usable at night. i am strongly thinking about returing it to stock..

anyone encounter this problem? and if so how did u fix it?

thanks in advance,
Steven
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
The right will blink 2 - 3 times on start up a then stabilize. Gene mentioned this earlier in this thread.
Hopefully we will be able to fix this via a software tinker.

Beside that they work great once they stabilize.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hid kit- no errors w/ video