M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Navigation issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
Navigation issue

Navigation issue: There is a setting where you can view upcoming freeway exits (when NOT in route guidance), however, when I activate this setting, the upcoming exits are labeled by numbers(i.e. EXIT 49, 50, 51, etc.). I live in California and similar to most freeways/highways in all states, there are exit/street numbers associated with the exit names, but I find it ridiculous that the names aren’t included in regards to “upcoming exits.” I know that the COMAND system does have the names of the exits since it tells you the name of the exit if activate your route guidance; so why doesn’t the system automatically list the names of the upcoming exits, rather than Exit numbers? My Audi lists the names of upcoming exits(up to 3) which is extremely useful for my OCD taste. The dealer wasn’t able to figure this out but maybe it’s a simple program update for the COMAND system?

Anyone else annoyed by this?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Programming gotcha. Same in our 2012 GLK. Complain to Navteq. Possibly a bigger waste of time than complaining to MBUSA. I use the software in my head and read the signs. I do like the inclusion of services at upcoming exits. Helps in planning rest/fuel/grocery stops.

Wayne
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM

2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
Thanks Wayne,

It makes me wonder how thorough do these programers evaluate their software before releasing it; or at least have others troubleshoot it.

Upcoming freeway off-ramp/exit numbers instead of Exit names on the freeway should've been obvious in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both bits of information would be helpful. Exit number is keyed to mile markers so you know how far up the road the exits are. At least one major Hwy number or town name would also be good. I looked at those lables for a few hundred miles at Christmas. I think they do include a crossing highway number. Next time I'm on an interstate, I'll look. That may be awhile.

Wayne
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
caf

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
car
Originally Posted by venchka
Programming gotcha. Same in our 2012 GLK. Complain to Navteq. Possibly a bigger waste of time than complaining to MBUSA. I use the software in my head and read the signs. I do like the inclusion of services at upcoming exits. Helps in planning rest/fuel/grocery stops.

Wayne
Is there a way to get rid of the upcoming exit information? It seems like it's always there and unless I need to make a stop soon I'd rather have a bigger map.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Yes there is. Alas, my C.R.S. is acting up. When in doubt, read the book Wayne.
It is controlled by the Highway Information menu selection. Page 92 in my 2012 GLK COMAND manual found online.
After refreshing my memory with the illustration, the information displayed is useful. Hwy. designation at exit, facilities at exit including service station logos, distance to exit. It worked for us over a 10 day trip and probably 1,000 miles on interstate and other controlled access highways. Not available on the backroads that my Co-Pilot/Navigator prefers.

ps: We don't do "freeways" per se. Just long stretches of Interstate through semi-civilized rural areas. If the COMAND map is showing me exit numbers & highway numbers, it's a simple process to associate that information with the signs along the highway. Here in Houston I can see where street names would be helpful.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 01-24-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Cool feature that I found AFTER we returned from the mountains of North Carolina:

While driving around on really neat twisty up and down roads, I was bummed out that our altitude wasn't displayed. After the trip I was hunting through menus to see what happens. I found the COMPASS screen. BAM! There is the altitude displayed in the upper right corner. I just wish that those numbers were tucked in a corner of the map. No worries. Better somewhere than nowhere.
Despite it's faults, the COMAND navigation is quite good. Major complaint, and common to most/all vehicle systems: The map database is perpetually out of date. That's when our Blackberrys & GOOGLE maps fill in the blanks.

Wayne
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM

I found the COMPASS screen. BAM! There is the altitude displayed in the upper right corner.

Wayne
I don't know why MB doesn't have the compass(direction) in the corner of the rear view mirror like my Audi. I don't mean to compare manufacturers but what a pain: I have to navigate through the menu of the COMAND system to display the compass. Plus, the compass takes up the whole screen which is pointless since I leave on the map display most of the time. If I need to quickly glance at the compass to see if I'm going in the opposite direction(yes I get lost easily, even w/ Nav), this is too cumbersome to navigate to when this info should be shared info on the Nav screen.

If you guys know I'm overlooking something, let me know. Maybe there is a setting where you can have the directional compass(N, S, E, W) show up in the corner of the nav/map screen. However, I wasn't able to find it.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Compass on Map

Originally Posted by metidogeno
I don't know why MB doesn't have the compass(direction) in the corner of the rear view mirror like my Audi. I don't mean to compare manufacturers but what a pain: I have to navigate through the menu of the COMAND system to display the compass. Plus, the compass takes up the whole screen which is pointless since I leave on the map display most of the time. If I need to quickly glance at the compass to see if I'm going in the opposite direction(yes I get lost easily, even w/ Nav), this is too cumbersome to navigate to when this info should be shared info on the Nav screen.

If you guys know I'm overlooking something, let me know. Maybe there is a setting where you can have the directional compass(N, S, E, W) show up in the corner of the nav/map screen. However, I wasn't able to find it.
See page 100 of the Comand Manual.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

EDIT:

Page 100 says it all. Same as my Volvo. Map orientation set to Direction of travel up. Compass in the corner of the screen. I guess I'm so used to it that I tuned it out.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 01-25-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Travel up or North up?

EDIT:

Map orientation set to Direction of travel up. Compass in the corner of the screen.
Wayne
I used to set all my Navigation screens to North up, until my wife finally told me she keeps getting lost with the GPS - she could never figure out which way she was going when she looked at the screen!

She still gets lost with the Navigation.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to keep that a secret. Grinning.
No built in system is perfect or foolproof. That's why we travel with analog maps and GOOGLE maps on our phones as backup. Besides, it's way faster and easier to plot a day's drive with a real map.

Wayne
Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by metidogeno
Navigation issue: There is a setting where you can view upcoming freeway exits (when NOT in route guidance), however, when I activate this setting, the upcoming exits are labeled by numbers(i.e. EXIT 49, 50, 51, etc.). I live in California and similar to most freeways/highways in all states, there are exit/street numbers associated with the exit names, but I find it ridiculous that the names aren’t included in regards to “upcoming exits.” I know that the COMAND system does have the names of the exits since it tells you the name of the exit if activate your route guidance; so why doesn’t the system automatically list the names of the upcoming exits, rather than Exit numbers? My Audi lists the names of upcoming exits(up to 3) which is extremely useful for my OCD taste. The dealer wasn’t able to figure this out but maybe it’s a simple program update for the COMAND system?

Anyone else annoyed by this?
yes, I was annoyed by this as well as I was used to my previous w164 displaying the exit street names and not exit numbers. Hope there are some updates on this in the near future.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talk to Navteq. Don't hold your breath.

Wayne
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Intersecting Street Names display

Originally Posted by tigerbalm
yes, I was annoyed by this as well as I was used to my previous w164 displaying the exit street names and not exit numbers. Hope there are some updates on this in the near future.
Do you have "Intersecting Street Names" enabled?

Mine displays the name of the intersecting street as the vehicle approaches the intersection.

Page 104 of the Manual: "Show/hiding intersecting streets"
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM

2012 ML350
This is not a Navteq issue. The data are in the Navteq database, it is up to the software to use it. Most others who use Navteq have the road names of exits displayed.

While we're on Nav, is there a way to enlarge the names of cross streets? These on the ML are the tiniest I've ever seen and sometimes very difficult to read while driving (and thus very dangerous). Any help on this appreciated, I've looked and couldn't find it.