M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Mirror doesn't return to position after reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350 bt
Mirror doesn't return to position after reverse

On some occasions, my passenger mirror won't reset back to its "forward" mode after tilting downwards when I engage reverse. I've noticed this a few times after having to engage d and r multiple times in succession getting out of a tight parking slot. I usually invoke seat memory to get it back to its proper position.

Mark

Last edited by Markled; 02-29-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: iPad autocorrect
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Mark, check your owners manual.

You may have turned that feature off somehow. In the manual it mentions how to turn on and off the automatic parking mirrors.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iu
Originally Posted by jweezy

You may have turned that feature off somehow. In the manual it mentions how to turn on and off the automatic parking mirrors.
Do all models have this feature or only with a specific package?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by jweezy

If it's sporadic I doubt that's the case.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Ml350 bt
Jweezy, this isn't the auto folding feature, if that's what i think you mean. It's the feature that pivots the right side mirror down (or wherever you want it pointed) when in reverse gear; by default the position isn't stored in memory until you set it (page 104 of the manual i think).

The more i think about it, i could be parking the car (after using reverse and drive) and turning the engine off before the mirror has had a chance to move back. The next time i get in the car, start it up and hit reverse, i won't notice anything wrong because i expect the mirror to be pointed down. When i drive off, the mirror stays down because it was last set in that position. Am i making sense?

Last edited by Markled; 02-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

side mirror position

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
If it's sporadic I doubt that's the case.
Check the side mirror L/R selector switch - it needs to be in L/R postion for the RHS mirror fold down (only the passenger side mirror folds), I think.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Assuming that these mirrors are similar to the GLK...

1. Right side mirror switch must be activated to get the tilt down view for parking. I leave that switch selected so that the mirror tilts when in Reverse.
2. While in reverse and with the Right side mirror selected, if you press the Left (driver's) side mirror switch the Right side mirror returns to it's normal position. While still in Reverse, select Right side again and the mirror tilts down.
3. When shifting from Reverse to Drive the mirror won't move back to normal for about 10 seconds. This allows for shifting back and forth during parking without moving the mirror too much.
4. Deviation from the above should justify dealer investigation.
5. The has nothing to do with the inward, horizontal folding operation of the mirror housings. Only the mirror itself moves. The GLK doesn't offer that feature.
Good luck.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 02-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 W211 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by venchka
Assuming that these mirrors are similar to the GLK...

1. Right side mirror switch must be activated to get the tilt down view for parking. I leave that switch selected so that the mirror tilts when in Reverse.
2. While in reverse and with the Right side mirror selected, if you press the Left (driver's) side mirror switch the Right side mirror returns to it's normal position. While still in Reverse, select Right side again and the mirror tilts down.
3. When shifting from Reverse to Drive the mirror won't move back to normal for about 10 seconds. This allows for shifting back and forth during parking without moving the mirror too much.
4. Deviation from the above should justify dealer investigation.
5. The has nothing to do with the inward, horizontal folding operation of the mirror housings. Only the mirror itself moves. The GLK doesn't offer that feature.
Good luck.

Wayne
thanks for that. I just replaced the motor since it was sticking, and thought the mirror wasn’t going back up. I was not waiting the ten seconds in drive. When I did it went back up to its normal position.