M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Bent trailer hitch.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Bent trailer hitch.

I went to tow a small trailer over the weekend and noticed that the drivers side safety chain slot is bent down about 20 degrees. The passenger side is OK. My guess is that they used it when they transported the car as a tie down and it bent in shipping. My guess is that the dealer will try to bend it back but I'm a little concerned about bending it and making it weaker. My guess is that the hitch will need to be replaced.

One really neat thing is the back-up camera has an option that zooms in on the hitch with a line on the display that makes hooking up a breeze.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
I went to tow a small trailer over the weekend and noticed that the drivers side safety chain slot is bent down about 20 degrees. The passenger side is OK. My guess is that they used it when they transported the car as a tie down and it bent in shipping. My guess is that the dealer will try to bend it back but I'm a little concerned about bending it and making it weaker. My guess is that the hitch will need to be replaced.

One really neat thing is the back-up camera has an option that zooms in on the hitch with a line on the display that makes hooking up a breeze.
Those safety chain eyelets are pretty stout. Must have taken a pretty good force to bend it.

I also love the trailer view rear camera. I recently picked up my boat and was able to get almost spot on the mark with my trailer without leaving the vehicle --very nice.

My only towing issue is that I've noticed a clunking rattling noise. I think it's due to the fact that the included ball mount insert is narrower than the hitch receiver and it's wobbling back and forth a bit laterally. I need to investigate that a little further and also see if my old ball mount fits tighter and eliminates the noise.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Hitch rattle cure

Originally Posted by caf
My only towing issue is that I've noticed a clunking rattling noise. I think it's due to the fact that the included ball mount insert is narrower than the hitch receiver and it's wobbling back and forth a bit laterally. I need to investigate that a little further and also see if my old ball mount fits tighter and eliminates the noise.
On my last two MLs I tapped a bolt into the bottom of the receiver; when tightened against the bar that solves any looseness issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by caf
Those safety chain eyelets are pretty stout. Must have taken a pretty good force to bend it.

I also love the trailer view rear camera. I recently picked up my boat and was able to get almost spot on the mark with my trailer without leaving the vehicle --very nice.

I used the ball/insert from my old Ford Excursion. The only time I heard anything was when the windows were open. With them closed I didn't hear any rattling. Also I don't leave it inserted when not towing like some folks.